Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

Hardware Set-Up or Atlantis CE Problem?

Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Hardware Set-Up or Atlantis CE Problem?

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-02, 07:47 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Atlantis CE Problem

I'll apologize in advance if this has been asked, but I couldn't find a thread regarding this question. While watching this DVD, i have my DVD player set for 16:9. I have a Sony Wega which auto detects 16:9 movies. When it does the squeeze, I get the normal horizontal bars, but I also get a set of lighter black bars(charcoal grey) attached to the normal bars. It's a bit distracting. when i set the DVD player to letterbox, not widescreen, it removes the lighter bars. Can someone here let me know what's up with this? thanks.
Old 02-04-02, 09:49 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I think that the problem is that the brightness on your Wega is too high. You'll get the second set of black bars when you do the squeeze trick, but if you calibrate your TV with Avia, the lighter bars will turn blacker and will blend in with the other set of bars.
Old 02-04-02, 11:12 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

This does sound like a calibration/set-up issue over a problem with the disc... As such moving to the DVD & Home Theater Hardware forum for some second opinions.

Thanks,
- C

Last edited by Adboy151; 02-04-02 at 12:04 PM.
Old 02-04-02, 01:16 PM

the set is calibrated with avia, and it auto detects anamorphic discs. i don't have to squeeze the pic at all. The set does it automatically. My thoughts(could be way off here) are that the disc isn't widescreen enhanced(though it says it is), just letterboxed. does this make any sense? I never have any problems at all with my set up. I definitely think it's the makeup of the disc. Any thoughts at all?
Old 02-05-02, 12:10 AM

since the movie is 2.35:1, the charcoalsih bars come up because when doing to "raster squeeze" the top portion should be completely dark, yet the part displaying the image has the brightness set too high or does not produce DEEP blacks. I see tvs at work all the time that do not produce deep blacks and have the same phenomenon. When explaining the 16x9 mode to customers i always turn up the brightness so they can see exactly what is happening in the 16x9 mode.