DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Question about multi-region coding on an Apex player?

Old 01-30-02, 09:13 PM

Question about dvd coding

I'm not sure about the model, but I own an apex and was wondering if most players can play region two coding dvd's or would I have a problem if I ordered something that's region 2.
Old 01-30-02, 09:27 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

it's most likely going to depend on your particular model and whether it can be hacked.

As this deals with a hardware issue, moving to the DVD & Home Theater Hardware forum as you're bound to get a better answer there.

Also updated thread title for clarity.

Thanks,
- C
Old 01-30-02, 09:43 PM
X
Administrator

Yeah, what model?
Old 01-31-02, 10:52 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

No model of Apex in the US can play anything but R1 out of the box. Many models of Apex DVD player can be modified to be all region though. Some with very little effort, others with a lot of effort, and some are somewhere in between.

Which model of Apex do you have? Need to have that to answer your question. Also, while the Apex does the PAL/NTSC conversion, if the disc you want is anamorphic PAL you won't be happy with the results as it doesn't convert anamorphic PAL discs properly. You'll get a similar effect as selecting the 'wide screen' option on the player when you have a 4:3 set. No bars, tall skinny people.
Old 01-31-02, 05:25 PM
Cool New Member

Huh?

I have an apex 660 and the HKL disc of Jackie Chan's Police Story, which is anamorphic, and there are black bars on my NTSC tv. the image is stretched a little, but not distracting at all.
Old 01-31-02, 07:42 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Re: Huh?

Originally posted by jfinesse2000
I have an apex 660 and the HKL disc of Jackie Chan's Police Story, which is anamorphic, and there are black bars on my NTSC tv. the image is stretched a little, but not distracting at all.
660's and 800's (I believe it's the 800..) don't have the same problem as the other Apex's regarding anamorphic conversion.
Old 02-01-02, 06:43 PM
mdX

my wega does the 16x9 squeeze, so I don't need anamorphic downconversion. which model apex player will/won't properly convert PAL-->NTSC for me?

TIA
Old 02-01-02, 09:44 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by mdX
my wega does the 16x9 squeeze, so I don't need anamorphic downconversion. which model apex player will/won't properly convert PAL-->NTSC for me?

TIA
Most won't, some do. Check out these sites for exact info:

www.nerd-out.com
www.dvd-wizards.com/darrenk
Old 02-02-02, 02:25 PM
mdX

Originally posted by renaldow

Most won't, some do. Check out these sites for exact info:

www.nerd-out.com
www.dvd-wizards.com/darrenk
the nerd-out site seems to be down, and the dvd-wizards site doesn't have any info on PAL-->NTSC conversion. I was hoping people here could share their comments
Old 02-06-02, 03:38 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Some versions of the 1500 can be changed to play multiregion discs with a CD-Rom firmware upgrade. It depends on the serial number.

Apparently the 3201 will play multiregion discs with a simple four digit code entered on the remote at the right time. I believe K-Mart sells them for about $100.