DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Help setting LFE level

Old 01-25-02, 09:45 AM

Help setting LFE level

Hi all!

I have a Yamaha RX-V595A reciever powering a Klipsch Quintet home theater speaker package with a KSW-10 sub.

I don't understand the adjustment of the LFE level on the receiver. It ranges from 0db to -20db. Will I get greater bass response set at 0db or at -20db?

Thanks!

Mike
Old 01-25-02, 09:58 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

0 > -20

Therefore, 0 will be louder. Further, the -20 setting will be 20dB below the 0 setting.
Old 01-25-02, 11:13 AM

That's kind of what I figured, but wanted to make sure.

Thanks!

Mike
Old 01-25-02, 12:13 PM
Gomez

The receiver's LFE dB level is simply tied to the line level output (the sub phono plug on the back of the receiver that runs to the sub's input). If your sub has an analog gain potentiometer (aka "volume" or "level" knob), then the LFE setting on your receiver is merely yet another way to set this.

In other words, most subs have their own volume level knob so don't merely rely on the setting on your receiver. Ultimately, you'll want to use an SPL meter to get the sub level equal to your satellites. A good starting point is to set LFE = 0dB on receiver, then twist the knob on the back of sub until you get a nice tonal balance. Then you can fine tune with the LFE setting on your receiver.

Regards.

Old 01-31-02, 02:58 AM

That's your LFE attenuator setting. It's designed to be used to keep your sub from overdriving with a really powerful soundtrack or at high volumes.

Or you can use it as an "anti-piss-off-the neighbors" setting.

0 will be the loudest setting (full LFE power). At a low enough setting, I think the .1 channel is turned off completely.