DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

HDTV Receivers/Recorders from CES

Old 01-24-02, 12:09 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

HDTV Receivers/Recorders from CES

I Posted this in another thread, but it may not get the attention it deserves!

-----------
I read yesterday that regular PVRs aren't scheduled until 2003/4 for HDTV. But.. Dishnetwork had a prototype that may be out by the end of 2002! DirecTV does not plan on having 1394 interfaces!! Which means you cannot record their signal digitally!! Looks like I will switch to Dish when this baby comes out!

JVC also looks to have one out by JUNE! That would rock, since my DVD Player and Home Theater are JVC!

Taken from ilovehdtv.com:

DishNetwork and HD-STB tuners with digital interfaces

DishNetwork demo a prototype of their new Echostar (E*) HD- STB with PVR. $ N/A. TTM by the end of 2002. Outputs planned: DVI, 1394 and component. The PVR demo showed clean HD images at 0.5 slow motion, at fast 4X speed for reverse and forward, and at freeze frame.

The unit is compatible with HD-VHS VCRs via 1394. It records 12/15 hrs of HD using a PVR 160GB HDD at 720p or 1080i. It converts stored signals to other ATSC formats in the output.

The loop works as follows: The DishNetwork E* STB tunes and sends a HD signal out via the 1394 output to a D-VHS VCR for recording, then the tape is played back from the D-VHS VCR and its signal is sent back to the E* STB via the same by directional 1394, then the E* STB outputs the played signal to any current HDTV via the component analog connection. The same approach is for pre-recorded HD-VHS movie tapes when available.

The system seems to assure backward compatibility regarding connections with all HDTVs produced over the last 3 years that do not have digital inputs, and also facilitate connectivity with new D-VHS VCRs that have only 1394 in/outs.

JVC

HD-STB TU-9000 with PVR, TTM June 2002, $ N/A (but claimed to be competitive in price), PVR of 80GB HDD (maybe more GB by June), two 1394 in/out 4pin (two of 2 way each), dual decoder for PIP (HD/SD or SD/SD), DVI output, analog component output, 2 satellite inputs, No 8VSB tuner, optical audio out.

Read the whole review of CES here.. pretty cool
http://ilovehdtv.com/hdtvmagazine/reviews.html