DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Newbie looking for 1st DVD player (Canadian)

Old 01-22-02, 03:07 PM

Newbie looking for 1st DVD player (Canadian)

Hey everyone, first time poster here!

I just got the ultimate Jordan dvd as a gift and now I need to purchase a dvd player to view it! I live in Toronto, Canada, so any leads in that area would be great.

I'm not so sure what to look for. Obviously I want something that will last. I'm looking to spend $200-250 Canadian, so pretty entry level. I want it to be able to play dvds, vcds and music from cd's that I burn on my pc.

I've looked through stores and found an enormous variety of players. I've heard about low=priced Apex ones, while reading some mixed reviews on them. I saw one on the Futureshop web site by Shinsonic, which had all the features I wanted and was reasonably priced at $179.99 Cdn plus tax.

Should there be any other features i should be looking for? I've read thing about speaker capability but I have no clue about the dobly digital sound stuff so if anyone can fill me in?

Also, should I stick to buying from the brand name stores like the Sony Store, The Bay, WalMart, etc, or are there any local stores which have decent deals and the possibility of returning the item is it's not to my liking?

Okay I think that covers it, let the posts begin!
Old 01-22-02, 04:20 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Take a look at the panasonic DVD-RP56 player. I know in the States it $200.00 at Best Buy and Circuit City.
www.panasonic.com
Good Luck

Updated:

Direct Link
Old 01-22-02, 08:31 PM

If you want a major brand, go with the Panasonic RV31 for CDN$250 or so. It does CD/CDR/CDRW and MP3. The RP-56 is a progressive that is typically priced around CDN$350 (Boxing Day sales...CDN$300). All prices are before taxes.

Dave

Last edited by DavidY; 01-22-02 at 08:36 PM.