Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

Why should I get TiVo over ReplayTV?

Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Why should I get TiVo over ReplayTV?

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-02, 12:35 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Both are good units, and both have their plusses and minuses. I went with TIVO, one because I have Directv, but two, because nobody really knows for sure whether or not Replay will be around. TIVO seems to be the one getting all of the attention. Maybe because it is better, or maybe just better marketing. But I would hate to have a PVR that did not work in a year or two.
Old 11-14-02, 02:57 PM

I have both. I recommend Tivo in a heartbeat.

Before Tivo 2.0, it was a bit more murky -- Tivo didn't have a few features (including padding) that Replay came with.

Now, I don't think there's a contest. Even the vaunted 30 sec skip can be activated on the Tivo as a hack. If for no other reason, Tivo's conflict resolution trumps any small advantage Replay still has.

And if you're still not convinced, upgrading a Tivo is as easy as pie. I went from 30 to 150 hours in under one hour. I mean, I couldn't believe how easy it was.

Replay does tell you how much recording space is left, which was a minor gripe I had with Tivo. Well, with 150 hours (50 in Best quality) running out of recording space is no longer a concern.

Tivo's biggest knock is its overly friendly user interface. I say, get over it. It's better than the blue and white uninspiring bore that is the Replay interface.

Last edited by Hanson; 11-14-02 at 03:01 PM.
Old 11-14-02, 04:06 PM

I have a Replay 4500. The interface may be blue, but it is simple and attractive. It need not be anything more.

TiVo fans always say that the "Commercial Advance" feature of Replay is not that special. They have clearly never used it. Having the Replay skip past commercials without you even having to press a button at all is truly wonderful.

In regards to whether Replay (or more accurately, SonicBlue) will be around in a year or two - even if they are not, Replay units won't become doorstops. I can't imagine that some other company wouldn't step in and continue the service. After all, Replay units already get their guide data from another website.

One thing, however, told me I had to get a Replay instead of a TiVo. It may not apply to you, but the Replay has an ethernet port. Not only can you then download guide data through your broadband connection and trade shows with other users online (as someone else mentioned), but you can use a little piece of software for your computer to transfer shows from the Replay onto your computer. For me, this clinched it. Besides being absolutely cool, it has saved me a large amount of time in transferring my favorite shows to DVD.

In the end, though, they both do the same thing. So go to the store and look at them. Whichever you're more comfortable with, go with it.
Old 11-15-02, 07:13 AM

"In regards to whether Replay (or more accurately, SonicBlue) will be around in a year or two - even if they are not, Replay units won't become doorstops. I can't imagine that some other company wouldn't step in and continue the service. After all, Replay units already get their guide data from another website"

That seems like a risk to me, that I was not willing to take. I personally think Replay is a great unit, but the fact that they have not been as succesful as TIVO, made me go with TIVO. What if Sonic Blue goes under and someone else does not pick it up. I mean, remember when they started, and their motto was, our units may cost more, but you will not have the monthly charges! Well that did not work, and then Sonic Blue purchased them. Well, what if they go under. Then I have to hope that someone else picks them up?
I will stick with TIVO, because of how large they have gotten. They will BE AROUND for sure.
Old 11-15-02, 07:47 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by JBabbitt
"In regards to whether Replay (or more accurately, SonicBlue) will be around in a year or two - even if they are not, Replay units won't become doorstops. I can't imagine that some other company wouldn't step in and continue the service. After all, Replay units already get their guide data from another website"

That seems like a risk to me, that I was not willing to take. I personally think Replay is a great unit, but the fact that they have not been as succesful as TIVO, made me go with TIVO. What if Sonic Blue goes under and someone else does not pick it up. I mean, remember when they started, and their motto was, our units may cost more, but you will not have the monthly charges! Well that did not work, and then Sonic Blue purchased them. Well, what if they go under. Then I have to hope that someone else picks them up?
I will stick with TIVO, because of how large they have gotten. They will BE AROUND for sure.
I read over at AVSforum that there's already something that'll let you download the guide data from the internet if Sonic Blue happens to go under (I think that's what people in Canada use instead of making a LD call to the US for the info).
Old 11-15-02, 09:17 AM

Again, this is probably not even an issue, but is it worth the risk when TIVO works just fine.
Old 11-15-02, 11:43 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I've been looking at both myself, and am currently leaning towards the replay. A coworker has one, and absolutely loves it, and the built in ethernet is really a must for me.

As for the comments of Sonicblue going under, why would they? I mean it's not like it's some new company, it's Diamond Multimedia with a new name. The've been around for ever. It's not like the Replay is their only product. The Rio, various modems (i.e. supra etc), and what not. Not like they're some fly by night company.
Old 11-15-02, 12:21 PM

I have TiVo and bought my dad and bro TiVo Series 2's last month. I was going to buy them replays but decided on TiVo.

I really getting jealous when i started doing research on replay because of all the cool features they advertise. But after using one for a week (definitely not enough time to make an accurate judgement) then i decided that TiVo is better for us. First off, TiVo is so simple to use, and considering the non-tech attitude of my family then thats VERY important.
Old 11-17-02, 09:59 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Location: Chicago, only a stone's throw from Chicago (even if you throw like a girl)
I have been dying for a tivo but have held off for two reasons.

1. lack of Ability to watch live tv whie recording another channel of live tv.

Living in an apartment with a roomate and 1 HT setup does not facilitate a tivo arrangement.

Unless there are other suggestions.

SPY
Old 11-18-02, 10:06 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by bothanspy

Living in an apartment with a roomate and 1 HT setup does not facilitate a tivo arrangement.

SPY
Get a DirecTiVo. I'm not sure there will be a standalone unit with two tuners anytime soon, since the cost of 2 MPEG encoders would raise the price a lot and it would only work with analog cable. Otherwise record the second channel with your VCR. That is what I do and it can't be worse than your current solution.
Old 11-18-02, 11:39 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 617 Likes on 496 Posts
Originally posted by bothanspy

SPY

Just use a splitter. Send one to the TIVO and the other to the TV. That's what I do with mine.
Old 11-18-02, 12:37 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

My in-laws are probably going to buy us a TiVo for Christmas and I was concerned as to how it works with the digital cable box. Will I have to program both the cable box and TiVo unit every time I want to record something like I do now with my VCR? Will I be able to record one show and watch another without having to use a manual switch and tune through the TV itself like I do now?

Sorry if I sound like a moron, but I'm quite proficient with pretty much all gadgets except cable boxes. They simply throw a wrench into the works for me.
Old 11-18-02, 01:53 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I have been waiting for the DirectTIVO 2 to come out (and waiting and waiting...). Are there any advantages of getting a regular TIVO 2 and using the standard tuner that comes with the free (or nearly free) DirectTV installation?
Old 11-18-02, 02:23 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally posted by asabase
I have been waiting for the DirectTIVO 2 to come out (and waiting and waiting...). Are there any advantages of getting a regular TIVO 2 and using the standard tuner that comes with the free (or nearly free) DirectTV installation?
none that come to mind. You'll be paying more $ (in both monthly fee and initial cost of the unit), won't have the capacity (if you choose to record at the 'best' quality) and won't be able to record two shows at once while watching a previously-recorded show.

There are MANY opinions out there on the various PVRs. But few, if any, will argue with the point that the DTivo is the best PVR out there if you can subscribe to satellite television.
Old 11-18-02, 04:51 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by RandyC
Scott. I also watch and delete, but the basic quality is so distracting for me. I keep thinking, wow...this looks like crap. How does one tweak it to make it better?

What kind of TV is it hooked up to, and how is it connected? I used to have mine hooked up via composite cable to a standard 27" TV. Basic quality looked pretty crappy. Medium was the lowest I'd use, high would still pixelate often and Best looked like regular broadcast.

Then I bought a Wega 27" and hooked it up via S Video. There's a now a drastic improvement. I think it has more to do with the TV filters and auto tune than the cable, but Basic looks better than Medium did, and High doesn't pixelize like it used to. Medium and High are a little softer, which I think is covering the pixelizing. I've heard that larger screen TV's really show off the pixelization, so that may be your problem there.

Also, make sure to remove any melon remains from the connectors, that's been known to cause interference.
Old 11-19-02, 12:53 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 10 Likes on 1 Post
Another vote for Tivo here.

I actually have 2 TiVo units, one in my familyroom, and one in my bedroom.

I added a second 100gig HD into my bedroom unit, so I have 98+ hours on 'high quality' recording.

I just swapped out drives in my familyroom unit, so it only has 40 hours of 'high quality' recording time.

The only reason I have so much time is so I don't have to worry about space if I want to keep programs to archive over when I have some time.

And it's so true... once you get TiVo, you'll never go back.

-k
###
Old 11-19-02, 10:51 AM
DVD Talk God

Originally posted by Caoimhin
My in-laws are probably going to buy us a TiVo for Christmas and I was concerned as to how it works with the digital cable box. Will I have to program both the cable box and TiVo unit every time I want to record something like I do now with my VCR? Will I be able to record one show and watch another without having to use a manual switch and tune through the TV itself like I do now?

Sorry if I sound like a moron, but I'm quite proficient with pretty much all gadgets except cable boxes. They simply throw a wrench into the works for me.

An IR blaster is included with the TIVO (at least I assume it is - one was included with my Replay-TV). When you have something set to record on TIVO, it sends a signal over the IR blaster to change the channel on your digital cable box. All you have to do is keep you cable box powered on all the time. The IR blaster is affixed (it has a sticky surface) to the cable box right where the remote sensor is.

You can watch one show and record another assuming that you don't need a cable box to receive the non-pay/digital channels (basically your channels above 99). All you do is split the cable line - you send one to the cable box (which then connects to the TIVO/Replay and then to the TV via A/V inputs) and the other directly to the TV coax input. This is exactly how mine is set up. If you do need a cable box to watch any channel, you would have to get an additional box to watch one and record another.
Old 12-18-02, 04:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Second Star on the right, and straight on til' morning...
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Any current thoughts on Tivo vs. Replay?

This thread seems to say "tivo", with just a few replayers.
Old 12-20-02, 09:36 AM
DVD Talk God

Originally posted by Seeker
Any current thoughts on Tivo vs. Replay?

This thread seems to say "tivo", with just a few replayers.

Again, if it were up to me, it depends if you have Direct-TV. If you have Direct-TV, DirecTivo is the way to go. If you just have digital or regular cable, I think Replay is superior to TIVO.
Old 12-20-02, 12:06 PM

No, no. I have both but I don't have DirecTV. Tivo is superior.

To me, Replay is the work in progress that never really made it to prime time. It's good, it has a couple of nice exclusive features, but Tivo is so much more polished, thought out, and user friendly.

I find that most Tivo haters either hate the overly cute menus or didn't like the idea of a monthly subscription. The second point is moot now and the first is really specious.

The only feature that Replay has that Tivo doesn't is the line-in. With Replay, you can switch to line-in. With Tivo, you need to trick it into thinking you have a satellite, but this causes all the menus to slow down as Tivo now has to keep track of hunders of channels.
Old 12-20-02, 12:31 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by Hanson

The only feature that Replay has that Tivo doesn't is the line-in. With Replay, you can switch to line-in. With Tivo, you need to trick it into thinking you have a satellite, but this causes all the menus to slow down as Tivo now has to keep track of hunders of channels.
Tivo also doesn't have ethernet capabilities built in, component output, optical output, a 30 second skip button or commercial advance.....
Old 12-20-02, 12:35 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally posted by Hanson
No, no. I have both but I don't have DirecTV. Tivo is superior.

To me, Replay is the work in progress that never really made it to prime time. It's good, it has a couple of nice exclusive features, but Tivo is so much more polished, thought out, and user friendly.

I find that most Tivo haters either hate the overly cute menus or didn't like the idea of a monthly subscription. The second point is moot now and the first is really specious.

As I have said before - and I have used both extensively - I find Replay to be much easier to use - mainly because your 'To Do' list and 'Play' list are on the same screen. It is far easier to jump around and skip through shows (especially if you have a newer model with commercial skip) with Replay. Plus with Replay's newer models you can send shows to other Replay users.

The only feature that TIVO has that Replay could really use is a Priority List.
Old 12-20-02, 12:46 PM

Tivo also doesn't have ethernet capabilities built in, component output, optical output, a 30 second skip button or commercial advance.....
Ethernet capability assuming you have broadband. Besides, if you can't connect to a local number, you can use a 1-800 number with Tivo.

Optical out with analog cable?

30 second skip can be hacked depending on your Tivo software.

Component vs S-Video quality is minor even with DVD -- analog feed is probably negligible.

Not a big fan of CA. Not reliable enough.

Hanson
Old 12-20-02, 09:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Anybody have an idea of how much extra recording space I would get by adding an 80gb harddrive to my Tivo (Sony T-60)?
Old 12-21-02, 02:17 AM

You get pretty much 1 hour in Basic for every gig. So you'd have an additional 80 basic, 53 medium, 40 high, and 27 best.

Hanson

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.