DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Sears price match?

Old 01-14-02, 02:39 PM
steak

Sears price match?

Will sears price match ANY online store? I am interested in getting the Hitachi 36" HDTV monitor and found a wholesale dealer that sells them for $400 cheaper than sears. think they will match it?

Old 01-14-02, 03:18 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Only one way to find out! I think it depends on the sales associate you talk to. Some don't mind PM'ing anyone.. others are a little more strict. If one associate doesn't try another.. or another store.

The Sears I was at yesterday was more than willing to pricematch anywhere, seemed mainly like local stores tho..

Also, you should be able to use a 10% coupon, if you have one, after the pricematch, there have been success stories with that.

I am thinking of waiting to one of the 10% days for using the Sears card, and using the 10% coupon, and maybe stretching my luck and combining with a pricematch!
Old 01-14-02, 09:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

It depends completely on the store and the salesperson. From what I've seen, both in online forums and the experiences of a friend, some clerks will do it at the drop of a hat.

I think it would pay to go to a smaller Sears store and a younger sales associate. They may be hungrier for a large sale.

They will price match some extreme differences. A lot of people on the home theater spot forums report getting the 37 inch Panasonic RPTV (retail $2000) for $1499.
Old 01-15-02, 12:47 AM

How would you go about proving the online price? Just a print out?

anyone know what they need to see?
Old 01-15-02, 05:15 AM
etp

I took in 30 pages of URL's with price lists and just walked around looking. The sales mgr could not take it and said can I see that. Then he said I will meet any price in your lists. Plus after I was about ready to walk out he gave me a 10% coupon. Then he was out of stock and offered the floor sample for another 10% off.
20% total.
One week later he calls and says he wants to keep the floor sample and he can special order my unit new from the factory.
Wow!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 01-20-02, 02:20 AM

Go to www.sears.com and click on the blue box on the left hand side which reads "Find a lower price? We'll match it!" for details. The actual wording in the box changes every couple of seconds, so you may not see it right away...
Old 01-20-02, 04:13 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

If you search you will find that I have posted detailed information on this topic. Additionally, the exact price matching policy and the online stores are listed at Sears' website.

To the point, no their policy is not to match any store. There are eight or so that they will match, if I recall correctly. You may of course get a lax saleperson who doesn't know better and benefit from it.
Old 01-20-02, 09:41 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by reverb
If you search you will find that I have posted detailed information on this topic. Additionally, the exact price matching policy and the online stores are listed at Sears' website.

To the point, no their policy is not to match any store. There are eight or so that they will match, if I recall correctly. You may of course get a lax saleperson who doesn't know better and benefit from it.
The Sears web site lists a very small number of online retailers, most not known for big bargains, but the computer at the store listed a much longer list of sites. The sales associate in question couldn't find the site my friend was trying to pricematch from, but ended up selling him a 64 MB Sony Memory Stick for $30.
Old 01-21-02, 01:00 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

What I do is that the ad in there and show them in the ad that it states they pricematch online stores. Never had a problem doing that here in AZ.
Old 01-21-02, 09:31 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I went to Sears, told them that Sony w-40 sub was $130 at bestbuy, and they price matched it.

They never checked - i was bluffing.

I think it is all in the delivery, your level of confidence, and the sales person you get.