Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

Dolby Pro logic II question.

Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-02, 06:19 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi everyone, I own a yamaha htr-5280 receiver (absolutely love it), and I've only had it six months or so. Now I hear all this buzz about DPL II and was wondering if there is a seperate DPL II decoder unit I could buy to connect to my yamaha. I really can't see buying a new receiver just to get DPL II. Maybe someone like parasound has got something in the works? Has anybody out there seen or heard of such a device or is the only way I'm ever going to enjoy the benefits of DPL II is to eventually replace my yamaha with a receiver that does have DPL II?
Old 01-07-02, 07:20 PM
Gomez

PLII is nice and all, but since you're in the DVD forum I assume you watch DVDs, no? PL and PLII are optimized for 2-channel material such as laser disc and VHS. The only time you'd use it is for the occasional 2.0 surround DVD.

OK, I take it back - some broadcast television may be coming at you in PLII but I have no idea. If so then it might be nice.
Old 01-07-02, 08:57 PM
Cool New Member

Glad someone brought up this question. But mine is in regards to "Dolby Pro Logic".

I read, on this website I think, that "DPL" is "The default standard that comes on all DVD players and which is supported by all DVD movies. It converts the audio signal into two channels."

Is this correct? Is "DPL" only on VHS? Does a Receiver need to specifically say, "DTS, Dolby Digital, and Dolby Pro Logic" to be able to enjoy all features?

Thanks

"Still waiting on my Pioneer DV440"
Old 01-08-02, 04:10 AM
wiz
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Dolby Pro Logic Simulates a 5.1 soundtrack for a 2.0 mix. Whether it's with DVD's with 2.0 tracks, or when you're watching a VHS, or your Cable TV. I have Pro Logic I on my Onkyo 484, and the 494 I just bought my parents has DPL II. I am not sure which one I am going to give them yet.
Old 01-08-02, 08:32 AM

DPL Vs DPL II Vs DPL THX

Dolby Pro Logic Simulates a 5.1 soundtrack for a 2.0 mix.
I think DPL simulates a 4.1 soundtrack from a 2.0 mix, and DPL II is supposed to simulate a 5.1 soundtrack from a 2.0 mix.

My question is, "What are the differences are between DPL II and DPL w/THX processing (which is what I have)???"
Old 01-08-02, 08:34 AM

Hey guys whats up? I could be wrong here, but I always thought Dolby Pro Logic was was 4.0 (4 discrete channels) the 2 fronts speakers a center speaker and the last channel is matrixed between the 2 rear speakers. This is why DPL II sounds so awesome because a lot of those older movies (anything before the 90's) on DVD are not remixed to take advantage of Dolby Digital's 5.1 sound. This is where DPL II comes in. Granted it's not true 5.1 sound but it'll beat DPL 4.0 any day of the week. Thus my current crisis, ok maybe not a crisis, but it would be a damn shame to miss out on this. That's why I'd rather just buy a add on DPL II decoder than a whole new receiver.
Old 01-08-02, 11:02 AM

Matrix NOT Discrete

I could be wrong here, but I always thought Dolby Pro Logic was was 4.0 (4 discrete channels) the 2 fronts speakers a center speaker and the last channel is matrixed between the 2 rear speakers.
That is a false statement... DPL takes 2 discrete channels and matrix'es in the center and rear channels, which add 2 matrixed channels. NOT 4 discrete channels (as you would theoretically be able to play 4 independent sources out of each channel then).

Which also leads to the false-hood of 6.1 and 7.1, which indicates 6/7 discrete channels, when it really only has 5 discrete (EXCEPT IN THE CASE OF DTS-ES DISCRETE). It should probably be phrased as 5.2, as the LFE and RS are derived from the discrete channels and are not independent from them.
Old 01-08-02, 11:13 AM

Forget about all the technical aspects, the real question is how does DPL II sound? I've had DPL II in my Denon AVR-3802 for about two months now and the difference over DPL is amazing. TV shows and non-5.1 (or higher) DVDs sound sooooo much better than they used to. Well worth it IMHO.
Old 01-08-02, 11:36 AM
Gomez

DPL has 1 more limitation not mentioned yet: the channels it pulls out of the matrix (center, RR, LR) are limited bandwidth. You get poor frequency response in these, something like 100hz-10,000hz as I recall.

However, you still need it for "normal" television and the occasional DVD that only has DD 2.0, as it will make the 2-channel soundtrack into a decent surround matrix like you'd get over Dolby Surround Hi-Fi VHS or MTX stereo television.

Some mfrs of audio equipment take the thing a little further with proprietary decoding, such as harman/kardon's "Cinema 7" or whatever it's called. More enveloping than DPL but also sounds a little processed and fake to me.

Give me dts/DD 5.1, please.
Old 01-08-02, 11:57 AM

AGREE...

I agree... If we can't at least have true DTS/ES-Discrete then at least give me some sort of real 5.1 processing.

My dream would be to have a home version of the Sony SDDS.
http://www.sdds.com/

I'll just keep on dream'in though...

Is DPL II that amazing though??? What is the theory or calculations they use to derive 2 fuller range & decorrelated surround channels??? Haven't read too much about this somewhat antiquated processing... Sounds interesting though.
Old 01-08-02, 11:33 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

i have a onkyo 494 w/ PLII. i dont know any tech. aspects of it. but here is my observation by ear.

i also watch alot of cable in DPL2.

the sound quailty really depnds on what you are watching. i dont know how it works, but there are varied reults depending on what u are watching.

there seems to be no real universal sound quality.

1.new/old movies on tv sound different.
2.new/old made for tv movies sound different
3.old/new sticoms sound different...

why? maybe someone else knows

you can notice the varied quailty when it "matrixs" the channels. you can hear the rear vol level raise when the center has NO sound and then drop again when the center has sound.

it does a good job of isolating background music form the center, and putting voice in the center channel, especially in one of my favorite tv shows columbo!

it also seems like the best quality sound comes form TLC, disc, PBS and most new commercials.

in fact i would argue that NEWER commericals have the best sound quailty when compared to just about anything on cable.

if you want DPII for use with waching cable, i would suggest that it is really not worth the extra componet/money

it might be worth it for watching stero VHS - but i dont know.
Old 01-09-02, 09:08 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Re: AGREE...

Originally posted by jinhopark
Is DPL II that amazing though??? What is the theory or calculations they use to derive 2 fuller range & decorrelated surround channels??? Haven't read too much about this somewhat antiquated processing... Sounds interesting though.
DPL II is pretty amazing and is far from "antiquated processing". You can read more about the theory behind it here:

http://www.hometheaterhifi.com/volum...c2-3-2001.html
Old 01-10-02, 02:41 PM

Re: Re: AGREE...

Originally posted by nekobus

DPL II is pretty amazing and is far from "antiquated processing". You can read more about the theory behind it here:

http://www.hometheaterhifi.com/volum...c2-3-2001.html
thanks. hometheaterhifi.com is such a great site. i'd much prefer a technical analysis over a simple "DPLII sounds amazing".