DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Sony dvp s535D.. black and white... WHY?!?!?

Old 01-05-02, 09:07 PM
Cool New Member

Sony dvp s535D.. black and white... WHY?!?!?

Hi... I've had this player for a long time now and up until the other day everything was fine with it, but I went to watch a dvd and suddenly everything was black and white, now I know it cant be the connection etc becauise every other dvd works fine, and the weird thing is, the whole menu and everything comes up black and white, like even the background type thing....

any know why this could be???

any help would be more than appreciated
Old 01-05-02, 09:13 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Are you only having problems with one dvd? Have you tried looking at other dvds since you developed this problem?

Based on the fact that your player had been working fine, I'd guess that you have a bad cable or bad cable connection. Make sure your video cables are firmly in place.

Of course, if every dvd you have but one is working fine, you don't have a cable problem. In that case, try that dvd in another player.

What type of video cable are you using (s-video, composite, component)?
Old 01-05-02, 09:33 PM

If it's a component video connection, one of the 3 connectors probably pulled out. It happened to me several times. Try and check your connections on the video cable. Good luck
Old 01-05-02, 09:34 PM
Cool New Member

yeah i have tried other dvds since... when the background is on and the dvd that comes out black and white is in, the background is black and white, as soon as you press eject, it goes back to colour, thats why i find it weird, and im just using the basic video connection because its the only input my tv has, jus the single yellow cable i mean...
Old 01-05-02, 11:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

What do you mean by "background"? And I'm still not clear whether this is a problem with just one DVD or all of your DVDs. If it's just one, what title is it?
Old 01-06-02, 02:38 AM
Cool New Member

Ah ok sorry bad explanation by me... by background I mean the image that the dvd player puts on the screen while the dvd is stopped completely - its a cloudy picture with a box thats says 'Sony DVD' - ie. not playing or in the menu etc. and its a problem with a single dvd, its "blow" and its from malaysia I think, I borrowed it from a friend along with sword fish and AI, the other 2 work fine