Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

DTS needed

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-01, 05:48 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
DTS needed

I want DTS but my player needs a decoder. I assume I can buy a decoder and hook it to optical port of my Panasonic A120.

But I don't expect my Panasonic won't last forever. Then I'd have to buy a new player. Most players these days have built-in DTS decoders; is that true? I'd then have a DTS encoder left over.

Would money be better spent on a DVD player with a built-in decoder? I could use my Panasonic in the bedroom...
Old 12-31-01, 06:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

What kind of surround sound receiver do you have? You're going to need a way to amplify those 5.1 channels of sound, so you're going to need a receiver or similar device. That will have the DTS decoder built into it.
Old 12-31-01, 06:53 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Not all players have a built in decoder. But some will pass on the DTS bitstream, and are DTS compatible.

If they are not marked DTS compatible, can you use them as DTS players if the digital bitstream goes to a decoder? I didn't think you could. In other words, I thought you had to have a DTS comaptible DVD player and something that does the DTS decoding.

Some players, like my old Toshiba have built in decoders and output 5.1 sound to an amplifier. My new Panasonic does not have a decoder built in, but is DTS compatible and sends the DTS bistream to my receiver which then decodes it.
Old 12-31-01, 07:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Randy,

No, the DVD player has to be DTS compatible at least. It'll be marked "DTS Digital Out" or something like that if it is.

I'm still a little confused by exactly what it is the original pster is asking. We need more details on exactly what equipment he has before we can help him.
Old 12-31-01, 07:34 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally posted by Mr. Salty
Randy,

No, the DVD player has to be DTS compatible at least.
I was pretty sure... thanks.

Also should add, I am not a big fan of decoders in the players, as it is a lot simpler to have one digital stream going to the receiver and then it can handle the DD/DTS or whatever.
Old 01-01-02, 01:29 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

My Panasonic has a DTS output stream - some weird optical connection. I do not have a receiver yet.
Old 01-01-02, 01:36 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Thanks for the clarification.

So the issue is if you can get an outboard decoder to go in the bitstream to the receiver, or if you should buy a new DVD player that will decode the DTS.

If you do buy the player, it will have 5 audio outputs. Can your receiver handle that? Some do, but many do not.

If not, then that option does not make sense and I would recommend looking into a new receiver with DTS.

If your receiver can, then that is a good way to go.

I have no idea about a stand alone DTS decoder.
Old 01-01-02, 04:52 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
http://www.5point1.com/millennium.html

This is the only stand alone DTS decoder I know of still for sale today. If you get it in black is is 399, but in silver it is only 200 bucks which is not too bad a deal.

Technics also made a stand alone decoder (I can't remember the model#) a few years ago which you may be able to grab on Ebay.

Unless you are dead set on keeping your current set-up or can find a Technics for cheap, it makes sense to get a new receiver. If you take the 200 bucks of the millenium and throw another 50 to 100 bucks onto that, you are going to get yourself a very nice receiver, that should outperform what you have now.

J
Old 01-01-02, 04:57 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Here is an old review circa 1997 on the Millenium

http://www.hometheaterhifi.com/volum...illennium.html

Reading this review kind of gives a better idea of how far DTS and DVD has come over the past few years.

J
Old 01-01-02, 06:03 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by Disc-Flipper
My Panasonic has a DTS output stream - some weird optical connection. I do not have a receiver yet.
If you don't have a receiver and want to experience the great sound of DVD's, your next purchase should be a receiver. Dolby Digital and DTS are designed to work with a 5.1 speaker setup (two fronts, one center, two rears, and a sub). The Onkyo TX-DS494 is an excellent choice that can be found for only around $250. It has two optical inputs and decodes both Dolby Digital and DTS.
Old 01-02-02, 03:00 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I agree with what skar said. If you don't have a receiver at all, don't worry about replacing your DVD player. It'll do just fine. What you need is a surround sound receiver, which will do the decoding for you and provide the amplification for all the speakers.

Onkyo receivers are awesome and the 494 is a nice starting point. Very solid receiver for the money and plenty of features, too. If you can afford a little more, jump up to the TX-DS595, which is one of the best all-around receivers you can buy right now. You should be able to find it online for about $360.
Old 01-02-02, 09:14 AM

dts decoders

I have the Technics SH-AC500D decoder and it does a fine job.

http://www.audio-ideas.com/reviews/s..._sh-a500d.html

Also the McIntosh MSD4...

http://www.audioreview.com/reviews/A...ct_15881.shtml

I think they are both discontinued products, but both are often listed from time to time on Ebay.

I'm waiting for a stand alone outboard processor that handles DD-EX and DTS/Matrix/Discrete that will "autodetect" the best playback... Not sure if they will ever make one though.