Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

Problems with Sony STR-SL7 Receiver... HELP!

Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-01, 06:57 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I don't know if anybody else has gotten this receiver, but I'm really struggling with the remote. This is the new "Wega" receiver, and am very happy with the sound performance, but there are some major component conflicts which I can't seem to work through.

The remote is supposed to control your other Sony components, but I have yet to figure out how to control my TV's volume control. Also, if I use the sound field mode button, it also takes me to the "channel favorites" screen on my Sony DirecTV satellite receiver. My guess is that there will be more of these conflicts as I play around with it some more. Also, if I try to turn off the receiver, it also turns off my satellite receiver (which isn't the greatest when you also own a Tivo...)

The main questions I have are: 1) Has anybody else had these types of problems and been able to resolve them? and 2) Is there any place I can call to help me out? I was amazed to see that the only phone number Sony offers for technical support costs $3.00 a minute! They can kiss my A$$ if they think I'm going to do that...

Thanks for any help you can offer...
Old 12-30-01, 03:54 PM

i dont know if this will help but both sony receivers i own have a system off and an av off button.

*the system off button turns off all sony components.
*the av off button turns off only the current component you are using.
Old 12-30-01, 05:02 PM

Yeah, the STR-SL7 does also, but even when I push the individual component button you're talking about, both the A/V receiver and the DirecTV receiver turn off... I had to wire the DirecTV receiver through the "video" input, since it is the only one with RCA audio inputs. When I have the A/V receiver set to "video" to control the DSS, and push the power button, both go off. I was under the impression only one would...
Old 01-02-02, 09:11 PM

^
Old 01-02-02, 10:56 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

my guess is that both components use the same power off signal. I'm not sure how you'd overcome that difficulty, though.

haven't seen you here in awhile...

Last edited by edclem; 01-02-02 at 11:00 PM.
Old 01-03-02, 06:23 PM

DUDE! Amy and I miss you very much! Give us a ring and let us know how you're doing up North...

You may be right about the power button, and I have figured out how to turn the DSS back on after I shut them both off, but the sound field button / DSS conflict is driving me nuts. I have to teach myself to not use the button...

HDTV receiver is next, Amy's going to be mighty pi$$ed.