Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Dvd Player Question

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-01, 02:56 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Dvd Player Question

Can someone please tell me what kind of DVD player I need to buy if I want to play cd's and dvd's on it that are burned off of my computer?

thanks.
Old 12-26-01, 03:08 PM
X
Administrator

Received 154 Likes on 124 Posts
Your best luck would be with models that have dual pickups. Two separate lasers, one tuned to DVD wavelengths, and one tuned to CD wavelengths.
Old 12-26-01, 03:12 PM

reply to the answer to my question about DVD player

I'm so sorry, I should have explained myself better. First of all I know absolutely nothing about DVD players, so I don't understand what you are saying to me, you will have to explain a little differently for me to pick up. Secondly, I guess I want to know if I need CD-R, CD-RW, DVD-R, DVD-RW, or DVD-ROM to watch burned dvd's on my dvd player and to listen to burned cd's on my dvd player. Sorry for the inconvenience.

thanks.
Old 12-26-01, 04:15 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

If you are burning DVDs then you obviously have a DVD burner in your computer...correct? With that said you would need a DVD player that can read DVDr or DVDrw discs. If you are wanting to listen to music burned onto CDs, on a DVD player, then you need a DVD player that reads CDr or CDrw discs. If you are making video CDs on your computer then you need a DVD player that reads CDr or CDrw discs as well as the ability to play VCDs.
Old 12-26-01, 04:20 PM

Thank you for replying, one more question- how do I know if its a cdr or cdrw and dvdr or dvdrw that I need on the dvd player to be able to play these burned cd's and dvd's? Maybe you could tell me what exactly is the difference between r and rw. thanks.
Old 12-26-01, 04:40 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by j_armand
Thank you for replying, one more question- how do I know if its a cdr or cdrw and dvdr or dvdrw that I need on the dvd player to be able to play these burned cd's and dvd's? Maybe you could tell me what exactly is the difference between r and rw. thanks.
Manufacturers aren't shy about letting you know what format of discs a particular player will play. It will be written on the box and I'm sure you can ask a sales person when you're actually shopping for the player.

The R in CD-R stands for "recordable." The RW stands for "re-writable." A CD-R can be recorded on once, and is permanent. CD-RW can be recorded over and over.
Old 12-26-01, 06:49 PM

Every Pioneer model will play every one of those that you asked about.