Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

help!! need recomendations on a widescreen tv and a prog scan dvd player

DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Old 12-14-01, 11:42 PM
Cool New Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My dad is about to let me buy a widescreen tv in the 48 to 57 inch range, and I was hoping to get some recomendations on what I should get. I haven't had much of a chance to do a lot of research on new tv's and we have to buy it before the end of the year (it's a legitimate business expense right???? hehe). Any help with this would be greatly appreciated and while you are at it, how about recomending a good prog scan dvd player too. I don't want to spend more than 300 for the dvd player and am not sure about the limit on the tv but I'm guessin it can't cost more than $2700 to $3000. In fact I'm guessin he will probably want me to find somthing cheaper than that, but we'll see.... Oh yeah one more thing, does anyone have an opinion on extended warranties for tv's like these?
Old 12-15-01, 12:45 PM
Banned

I'd stay away from extended warranites.

The majority of problems with electronic equiptment occurs within the first 90 days - which is almost always covered by the original manfacturers warranty.

A for a progressive scan DVD player, check out the Panasonic DVD-RP56, I think it sells for under $300

As for the TV, check out the Pioneer SD-533HD5 for around $3000.

You also didn't say anything about a HD Tunner if you're interested in one of those look at the RCS DTC-100 for about $450 - it has a RGB output and the Pioneer has a RGB input so they'll work well together (you don't have to buy a transcoder.)

Dave
Old 12-15-01, 01:20 PM

I would not buy an HDTV without an extended warranty. Paying $200 for an extra 3 years of coverage on a $3000 item is justified. HDTVs are not like most electronics, many things can go wrong. With something that expensive I would think you would want extra coverage.

My recommendations:

TV- 55 inch Mitsubishi WS 55809 $2200-$3000 depending on where you buy it.

DVD player: I would avoid the cheaper Sonys and Pioneers. JVC and Panasonic make pretty good players for under $300.

Go to the Hometheaterspot for more information:

http://www.hometheaterspot.com/
Old 12-15-01, 02:14 PM
Banned

Extended warranties are nothing more than a way for retailers to soak you more - Sears actually makes more on Service Contracts than they do on selling the merchandise.

Any product you feel the need to purchase an extended warranty for means you don't feel the quality of the item is sufficient enough - I would never purchase an item that I felt compeled to purchase an extended warranty on.
Old 12-16-01, 09:45 PM

Extended warranties can be a valuable purchase in some situations. Depending on what the warranty covers. Mine covers everything including having a tech come to your home to make necessary adjustments. HDTVs WILL need adjustments like convergence etc.... I look at an extended warranty as an insurance policy. You never know what could happen, even if you feel that the product you purchased is the best available. Would I buy a warranty on a $300 DVD player? No. But I would feel a lot better with extra coverage on a $3000 item. There are many different opinions on this. Again, I would point you to the HometheaterSpot. There is a wealth of information to help you decide on a HDTV and extended warranties.
Old 12-17-01, 11:27 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I normally don't buy Extended warranties either, but I got one with my HDTV. Technology is new, there is much to go wrong. Also, I got a very sweet deal on the set and the warranty was under 10% of the cost. I also don't want to be toting the 200lbs anywhere to get fixed. Just having a tech come to take a look would cost a fortune.

The price you pay for the warranty is very key to whether or not it makes sense.

I once got one on a new car (only time).. It was a new model and my brother was in the business so I had actual cost info to bargain with. I got a 1200 warranty for 475 (guys cost was just about that). Wound up getting over $5,000 of repairs covered by it including a completely new tranny 4 years in. Sometimes, it pays big dividends when there is a question about product reliability.
Old 12-17-01, 11:37 PM
Cool New Member

gross@iastate - Thanks for the tip about hometheaterspot.com it's going to take me some time to be able to wade through all of the info on that site.

I've always heard that Mits and Pioneer are two of the best brands out there, and I definitely plan on looking at the two models recomended so far... what about Hitachi or Toshiba or Sony? Are they any good? Also, what are some good places (B&M and online) to find Pioneer and Mits TV's? I haven't had much luck in my area trying to locate either dealer.
Old 12-18-01, 12:45 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I like the Toshiba sets. Excellent values. Sony makes some decent sets, but they tend to be expensive for what you get. Mits sets are awesome and not too spendy. See if you can afford the Diamond series.
Old 12-18-01, 08:04 AM

I recently purchased a Sharp 55" widescreen set. The picture is fabulous! Sharp had contracted work with Pioneer, so there is rumored to be Pioneer Elite parts in the large Sharp RPTVs. Whether there is or not, I love this TV. You probably get the most features with the Sharp than any other TV in its price range.

I'd of gone with a Toshiba, but the s-video jack on any Toshiba product I have owned is inferior.. especially when friends rip cables from your TV without the knowledge that the s-video jacks on Toshibas are very delicate. I'd been to the repair shop one too many times for shotty s-video jacks, so I was not chancing it again this time around.

As for extended warranties... the jerk manager at Best Buy tried to sucker me into one. I held out strong and made it out of the store without purchasing one. I picked up almost the same warranty (but longer and much cheaper) from www.vikingwarranty.com It has the same coverage and was $179 for 4 additional years, so my new set is warranted for 5 years now. This warranty even uses the same technicians that the Best Buy warranty would. $44.75/year is a small price to pay for someone to come to your house to fix anything on the set.
Old 12-18-01, 10:53 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
TV: Toshiba 57H81
DVD: Panasonic RP91
Old 12-18-01, 01:49 PM

I used to feel the same way about Extended Warranty. Infact when I moved into my place I bought a fridge, washer and dryer and DID NOT get the warranty. But I DID get an extended warranty for my HDTV. I bought a WS65908 and gladly paid 500 for an extended warranty. What am I suppose to do if it breaks?? Carry a 400 pound monster down three flights of stairs??? They will come to my place and fix it or replace it with no problem. If one gun goes south they will replace ALL the guns for proper picture. The convergence is included and any problems. HDTV are prone to adjustment problems as well as premature gun wear. This is covered for a mere 500. I realize that the typical Warranty is just a scam to soak you for more money. Stores pride themselves on these stupid warranties. How many percent actually make claims??? But I am not taking a chance on a owning a 400 pound paper weight. Get the ws55908 and a SD9200 DVD. YOu will be floored!!!
Old 12-21-01, 12:57 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i recently helped my dad pick out a tv where he lives and he got the extended warranty. it covers just about everything that could go wrong, short of smacking the thing with a hammer. even if someone spilled a drink on it at a party, they'll come out and fix it, so extended warranties nowadays can cover a lot more than just technical malfunctions.
Old 12-22-01, 09:42 AM
Cool New Member

after doing some research here are some of the models which I am currently considering...

Hitachi 53UWX10BA
Hitachi 53SWX10B
Mitsubishi WS55809
Mitsubishi WS55819
Toshiba 50HX81
Sony KP51HW40
Pioneer SD-533HD5

Which would you choose?? I have to stay around $2700 so unless I get a great deal on some of these sets they might not really even be considered....