Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

Problems with my new HDTV-- please help!

Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-01, 11:19 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

HI, I recently purchased a Mitsubishi WS-55809 this past weekend and I've been having problems ever since. The image displays jagged lines, muddy colors, and sometimes it seems as if a part of the picture flickers either when I watch TV or a DVD. Now I have heard about the AVIA DVD that's supposed to help calibrate the TV but will it really help correct all these problems? Or do I just have a defective TV? Any help will be appreciated.
Old 12-04-01, 11:35 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Sounds like something is wrong to me.

What are your settings for color, brightness, contrast, sharpness, color temp, etc... I have the same TV and I have all those settings running pretty much flat.

Are you using a progressive scan DVD player? Make sure it is hooked up properly and that your TV is set to "film" mode for the DVD input. "Video" mode for regular TV viewing.

Check those few things and if you still have a problem I would say the TV is defective.

The picture should be excellent.
Old 12-04-01, 11:41 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
I would check the cabling and then the basic display settings.

I agree it sounds like something is wrong with the set itself and not a calibration issue.
Old 12-04-01, 12:10 PM

Thanks for the suggestions, I seemed to have fixed the color issue but some images still look jaggy and at times blurry. I checked the cables and everything is correct. I don't have a Prog. Scan DVD player yet, but will the picture really improve THAT much? I'm starting to wonder if this HDTV was worth it, it's really hard to tweak (at least mine is) and I have to spend another $1,000 for an extended warranty (which I think I'm going to need), a Prog. scan DVD player and cables.
Old 12-04-01, 12:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
OK glad that fixed the color issues.

Now onto the other issue.

I have a 36XBR400 TV. It is very unforgiving on poor signals. Since you do not say what source looks jaggy or blurry to you, I will relate my experience.

I have Direct TV. Programs with too much compression show alot of artifacting, blurry images and jagginess. It varies from channel to channel.

I think HDTV will be worth it but at the moment, my video display device's (my tv) capability far exceeds that or most broadcast or satellite TV. My best picture is with my progressive scan dvd player.
Old 12-04-01, 12:32 PM

Originally posted by MoViE FaNaTiC
I don't have a Prog. Scan DVD player yet, but will the picture really improve THAT much?
Yes it improves a lot.

As Brian said you are probably seeing video artifacting that on a tube TV is not as noticable as it is on a RPTV.

If you still think it's a problem just have someone come out and look at it...it's still under warranty.

My experience with that model is excellent. I definitely think buying a HDTV was worth it. I have digital cable and a progressive scan player and the picture is excellent. I have not had the problems you are having so either something is worng or the signal you are feeding it is bad.
Old 12-04-01, 12:46 PM

Thanks for responding quickly guys I appreciate your help.
As for the jaggy lines and blurr, I tend to notice it when I watch a DVD but like palebluedot says, it would probably be best to upgrade to a Progressive Scan player. I'll also probably have someone come out and investigate the flickering. So I guess my last question is what's the best Progressive Scan DVD player around $500 or less? Someone recommended the JVC XV S60BK which seems pretty good but I would like to get other opinions.
Old 12-04-01, 01:57 PM

Originally posted by MoViE FaNaTiC
Thanks for responding quickly guys I appreciate your help.
As for the jaggy lines and blurr, I tend to notice it when I watch a DVD but like palebluedot says, it would probably be best to upgrade to a Progressive Scan player. I'll also probably have someone come out and investigate the flickering. So I guess my last question is what's the best Progressive Scan DVD player around $500 or less? Someone recommended the JVC XV S60BK which seems pretty good but I would like to get other opinions.
I stay away from JVC products. IMO they suck...this is due to bad experiences suffered by me and friends of mine as well. Others on this board have had similar problems. However some have had good experiences.

Some other excellent players to look at...all are right around $300

Panasonic RP56
Toshiba SD3755
Sony NS700P
Old 12-04-01, 04:07 PM

I have had the 55809 for 2 weeks now I haven't experienced any of the problems you mentioned. I have a non-progressive Pioneer DVD player connected to the component inputs. The picture was great out of the box but was much better after using AVIA. Make sure you have the picture setting to FILM and not VIDEO. Turn contrast and brightness down to less than half. I would also put sharpness a couple notches below half. There are some other things you can do by entering the service menu. I highly suggest that you go to the hometheaterspot.com. There is a lot of information on Mitsu TVs at the site. Click on the Mitsubishi manufacturer forum. There is also a lot of information on cheaper progressive players. I would suggest you not to purchase the Sony NS700P, as it has the "chroma" bug. I will be picking up the JVC that you mentioned.

http://www.hometheaterspot.com/cgi-b...ultimatebb.cgi

http://www.hometheaterspot.com/cgi-b...&f=47&t=000057