Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

HDTV...getting the ball rolling

Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-01, 01:33 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I may still be a few months off from buying an HDTV set, but I'm looking for opinions on HDTVs from Sony, Toshiba, Pioneer and any other HDTVs you can think of. This would be the final piece in my home theater puzzle. I currently have a 32" Sony Trinitron TV from many years ago.

I would preferrably like a 50"+ screen. I am looking for multiple S-Video/Composite inputs. I am not looking for a plasma TV, just want a good 16:9 TV. Price range: $2k-$5k. This is just research for now, but will help point me toward HDTVs to look for and decide on myself. Thanks much.
Old 12-03-01, 01:37 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
For a budget of up to 5K you can get a pretty damn nice HDTV. I have a Mitsubishi 55" and it's great. Excellent picture and great features and I paid right around 3K for it.

Also if you are going with an HDTV you will want a good progressive scan DVD player as well.
Old 12-03-01, 01:46 PM

Mitsubishi WS55809

55inch Widescreen $2300-2700
Old 12-03-01, 01:53 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

The Mitsubishi sets are very nice. Audio King (in the Twin Cities) is a good place to check them out. I also like the Toshiba sets. The Sony sets are decent, but they seem overpriced to me.

For $5k you could easily afford a nice 65" model. Save a few hundred dollars to get your set ISF calibrated after it has been broken in.
Old 12-03-01, 02:05 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by palebluedot
For a budget of up to 5K you can get a pretty damn nice HDTV. I have a Mitsubishi 55" and it's great. Excellent picture and great features and I paid right around 3K for it.

Also if you are going with an HDTV you will want a good progressive scan DVD player as well.
The other components of a home theater are already in place, the HDTV is the final cog so to speak.
Old 12-03-01, 02:08 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by skar
The Mitsubishi sets are very nice. Audio King (in the Twin Cities) is a good place to check them out. I also like the Toshiba sets. The Sony sets are decent, but they seem overpriced to me.

For $5k you could easily afford a nice 65" model. Save a few hundred dollars to get your set ISF calibrated after it has been broken in.
Yeah, I'll be going to Audio King more than likely when the funds are there. Should my wife get a good job (she graduates next week), the $2k-$5k should be no problem. I plan on having it ISF calibrated as well. I'm just looking for opinions on HDTVs. I like Sony a lot and I realize they are usually overpriced.

What kind of specs do these systems have in relation to S-Video inputs and Composite inputs? Any other info is greatly appreciated.
Old 12-03-01, 02:22 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally posted by AgtFox

Yeah, I'll be going to Audio King more than likely when the funds are there. Should my wife get a good job (she graduates next week), the $2k-$5k should be no problem. I plan on having it ISF calibrated as well. I'm just looking for opinions on HDTVs. I like Sony a lot and I realize they are usually overpriced.

What kind of specs do these systems have in relation to S-Video inputs and Composite inputs? Any other info is greatly appreciated.
The Mits has...

2 Component(HDTV) inputs
3 A/V inputs(Audio, Composite Video and S-Video)
2 RF inputs
1 Front panel A/V input
Old 12-03-01, 02:24 PM
X
Administrator

Received 154 Likes on 124 Posts
It really depends on what you are going to watch. The Mits are nice screens for DVD only. It's generally acknowledged their line-doubler is not very good so you need a progressive source.

If you want the best in broadcast TV as well, the Pioneer Elites are probably the best. I have one and it is extremely impressive with the best built-in line-doubler around. It's hard to tell much of a difference between progressive and non-progressive input and they have the most flexible types and amounts of types of inputs around.

2 component, 1 VGA (not just 640x480, but like a computer monitor), 3 S-Video, 3 composite, 2 cable inputs on back (plus a RF BNC for who knows what), 1 S-Video/composite on front. They're shared, but there's four total switchable inputs plus the TV tuner ones.
Old 12-03-01, 02:36 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I have been impressed by what I've seen of the Pioneer Elites, that's kind of why I put them in bold. May I ask how much you got yours for and how long ago you got it?
Old 12-03-01, 02:42 PM
X
Administrator

Received 154 Likes on 124 Posts
I got the 510HD in August of last year for $4700 delivered. Bought it over the internet from an authorized dealer (very important as it has a 2 year warranty). I used a credit card that tacked an extra year on for free.

The 520's are out now and I hear the 510's are much less expensive than what I paid if you can find one. But then the 520 has a lower list than the 510 did too.

The 520 is supposed to have a better line-doubler but I've been reading about some problems with it. It also doesn't lock into full with a progressive input as was always the complaint about the 510. That doesn't bother me because I only go progressive with my home theater computer and I can vary the aspect ratio any way I want.
Old 12-03-01, 05:32 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally posted by palebluedot
I have a Mitsubishi 55" and it's great. Excellent picture and great features and I paid right around 3K for it.

I also have a Mits 55" (55807) and absolutely love it. Paid about $3300 a year ago. I know prices have come down this year, so you could even get the 65" if you have the space.