Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

Home Theater with Front Speakers

Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-01, 08:54 PM
Cool New Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am the guy who was (is?) considering the Bose 321 system; I need a small neat system, can't fit in any rear speakers so can only have front speakers which must be as small as possible. I have been advised to investigate component systems! Advice was pair of Alpha LR ($199) with Alpha CLR ($169) + Alpha Zero sub woofer ($299) + Onkyo 4949? ($299) + Entry level DVD player ($170?) = >$1,1,00 + cables etc. I had set a limit of $1,000 but my biggest problem is that I can't find anywhere who has (or is prepared) to have this sytem to listen to - so how do I know I will like the sound or appearance?
Bose own store has the 321 system and is happy for me to try at my leisure. (PLEASE - I am not a fanatic so don't use this thread for more pro/anti Bose arguments).
The real question is what does everyone else do to listen to a proposed system? It strikes me as a big risk to just buy it from the variety of sources necessary then put it together and hope I like the sound. If you don't then which component(s) do I change?
Finally the Bose system does seem to provide an element of surround sound and I have read in other threads that all good receivers will do that - but I read the Onkyo web site and could find no reference to pseudo surround sound of any type. Am I missing something?
I am confused, don't want to waste $1,000 or a massive amount of time on this, help welcomed.
Old 11-29-01, 10:03 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Buy what sounds good to YOU. If the bose 321 works and sounds good to you then go with that, who cares what people say about it.

I can understand you not wanting to purchase something sight unseen(or unheard in this matter) but the folks here would not steer you to bad sounding speakers for the prices you are looking at.

It, of course, depends on your listening environment. You could get the bose 321 home and it will sound like crap because of some unruly room acoustics that might better be tamed with seperate speakers. Also you are not going to get true surround sound with the bose 321.

With the speakers just make sure there is a return policy because no matter how they sound in the store they are going to sound different at home.
Old 11-29-01, 11:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The Onkyo receiver model you're looking for is either the TX-DS494 or the TX-DS595. Both are excellent, but for what you're interested in I would go with the less expensive -494.

I wouldn't be that concerned with being able to hear the entire system together, as there isn't as big a difference sound-wise bewteen the DVD players and receivers as there is between different speaker brands. If I were you, I'd concentrate on finding a store that carries the speakers you're interested in.

Man, I'm really going to have to buckle down this weekend and set aside some time for some auditioning of my own. I'm upgrading my receiver and speakers in two stages over the next few months, and it's about time I started narrowing down my choices!
Old 11-30-01, 01:08 AM

RickT

Although Bose brings up many different opinions, I can say with confidence that we all agree on a few things when it comes to systems, speakers, and everything else (Bose and non-Bose).

1. Listen and demo anything and everything you can. Give everything a good demonstration.

2. Let your interests and your ears decide. No one here knows how you like your movies and music, only you do.

With that being said, every Bose store offers a 90 day satisfaction garuntee. If you do buy a 3-2-1, Bose will allow you to try in it your own home (which can often cause a system to sound completely different) and if you aren't satisfied with it, you can return it for a full refund. That's a sweet deal whether you like Bose or not. Now, if we could just get the car industry to do that! LOL

Please let me know if I can answer any questions you might have on the 3-2-1.

To help demo systems, take your favorite DVDs and CDs along. It's your movies and music that will make a system sound good to you. Always ask about return policies and exhanges. Take your time. Don't rush into anything. Research is good.

BTW: The systems that other people have suggested are all great. The Onkyo 494 is a great receiver too. We sell it although I am unaware of any simulated surround sound out of 2 speakers that you mentioned.
Old 11-30-01, 07:20 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I can get a similar effect to the Bose 3-2-1 system by placing 2 clock radio's approximately 3 feet apart in my living room.

Get the PSB speakers. You can't compare PSB to Bose, it's like comparing a Rolls Royce to a beat up Pinto.
Old 12-01-01, 08:24 PM
Cool New Member

This reminds me why......

"I can get a similar effect to the Bose 3-2-1 system by placing 2 clock radio's approximately 3 feet apart in my living room.

Get the PSB speakers. You can't compare PSB to Bose, it's like comparing a Rolls Royce to a beat up Pinto."

I don't really get it and wonder what system and music the person who contributed the above to this thread listens to and what they were trying to prove. I have been a listener to all types of music for over 30 years - and yes, I am of the Beatles generation - I have had 3 sound systems in those 30 years all from carefully chosen components. Components chosen to be as neutral as posible so as to allow me to hear the music and not to intrude on the music. I fear there are those in this forum for whom the technology and personal prejudices is more important than the music.
I have now sampled the Bose system with my own CD's - music I know - and you now what? The Bose system is pretty good! Excellent? No, but no one frquency range dominated, the bass did not destroy the mid/low melody, the sound was slightly "bright" but I am used to big stand monted Heybrook speakers driven by an Arcam amplifier so that is not surprising. To compare it to two clock radios is simply ridiculous. I am also very much aware that this system will be used to watch DVD movies so perfect musical tonality is not the goal. An 'open' sound stage is.
I am going to try the Alpha speaker system next week and see how different the sound is. I use the word different advisedly, 'better' or 'worse' implies a simple analysis and I very much doubt that analysis is that simple.
If anyone is intereted I will let you know how the audition goes.

Thanks
Old 12-01-01, 09:24 PM

Re: This reminds me why......

Originally posted by RickT

I don't really get it and wonder what system and music the person who contributed the above to this thread listens to and what they were trying to prove.
LOL...don't worry too much, that's his thing.

I would definately be interested in knowing how your audtion goes next week with the Alphas. I am always interested in knowing how other systems sound, especially from people that give it an honest demonstration and comparison.

Have a good one.
Old 12-02-01, 01:08 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by svadas
I can get a similar effect to the Bose 3-2-1 system by placing 2 clock radio's approximately 3 feet apart in my living room.

Get the PSB speakers. You can't compare PSB to Bose, it's like comparing a Rolls Royce to a beat up Pinto.
Such enlightening comments

I think Rick is now going to get PSB speakers just because you said so.

J
Old 12-02-01, 02:22 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I tried the two clock radios idea...and I am not impressed with the use for DTS or DD on movies...I think I am losing some low frequency effects...so I decided to go to a full 5.1 clock radio system, using two clock radios for surround and one set up as a sub.

It seemed to work fine, until the alarms went off.

Not good....but I am now considering a 5.1 clock alarm system in the bedroom with a massive sub under the bed. Then have it use varying DD or DTS demos to wake up to.

Thanks for such a good idea!

(nothing said above was serious)