Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

HTB's worst nightmare/Onkyo review

Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-01, 08:51 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The December 2001(p. 150)print version of Home Theater Magazine has a favorable review of the Onkyo 494 entitled:"The Home-Theater-in-a-box's worst nightmare."

The online issue isn't up yet, so I'll just hit a couple of highlights from the print version:

"The 494 and the PSB Alpha B speaker package are a great match."

"Pro Logic II is good enough that I wouldn't recommend buying a low end receiver without it...I'd trade all the stadium, orchestra and unplugged DSP modes(this receiver has two)in the world for Pro Logic II."

"The speaker posts accept dual-banana plugs(a rarity at this price)..."

Check it out if you're in the market for a HTIB or a new receiver. Or if you just want to congratulate yourself on making a wise choice by purchasing one.
Old 11-27-01, 10:23 PM

i actually just got a htib onkyo ht-s490. haven't seen anything about it anywhere online, but it sounded great in the store and a friend hooked me up w/ a great deal (at cost). it's got the pro logic II, as said above. haven't set it up yet (i'm lazy), but i'm looking forward to it. any reviews? i'm interested and i normally wouldn't wait to set it up but it looks like a pain in the *** to unpack the whole system, so i may wait til it unpacks itself (or someone else does it for me). thanks
Old 11-28-01, 03:23 AM
wiz
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Tha'ts funny, about the same setup I have, the 484 and the PSB Alpha B's....hehe it is great.