Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

PS2 DVD and Denon DD lights

Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-01, 04:43 PM
Cool New Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey everyone. Here's my situation. I just bought a Denon 1602 reciever ( I love the thing!). Anyway my Pioneer DVD deck decided to die last week before I bought the reciever so I decided for the time being to use my PS2 as my primary DVD. The PS2 has a digital optical out that is connected correctly to the Denon. When I play Dolby Digital DVD's through it, the reciever recognizes the signal switches from analog to digital but the display on the reciever still says PLII (Dolby Pro Logic II). Don't get me wrong the POD RACE in Phantom Menace still sounds incredible but I am worried because the Dolby Digital indicator on the reciever isn't lighting. I also tried a DTS soundtrack (SHREK) and although it sounded right the indicator didn't light. Anyone have any ideas? I'm stumped and I am wondering if maybe the PS2 can't give the reciever the info it needs. I suppose I'll know when I buy a new DVD deck but in the meantime I'd like to know if anyone has any ideas or info on this strange phenomena.

Thanks
Dchad Out!
Old 11-28-01, 02:16 AM

In the PS2's setup menu, have you turned on Digital Out?
Old 11-28-01, 08:13 AM
Cool New Member

Yeah. The digital out cable is set to on and the reciever itself does actually flash the digital optical display when audio starts. Weird. Really weird. Still sounds incredible though.
Old 11-28-01, 01:06 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

If you have Video Essentials, Avia, or any disc-based audio test signals, you should be able to determine if the rears are mono or stereo. If they are stereo, then you are in fact hearing DD/DTS.

If you're asking whether the light on your receiver works, I wouldn't worry about it, as ling as you are getting the correct sound. But if the thing's under warranty, might as well get it repaired.
Old 11-28-01, 01:33 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Are you selecting the optical input on your receiver?

Also, is the optical cable the only audio connection between your receiver and the PS2? If it's not, remove the other audio connections while you're troubleshooting.
Old 11-29-01, 08:44 AM
Cool New Member

No I also have the analog audio running to the reciever as well for Dolby Pro Logic signals. I'll remove them while I'm testing. The thing is that DOlby Pro Logic II makes the rears surround channels stereo. The only thing I don't know is whether or not PLII can be passed as a digital signal. I was under the impression that it was only analog. I'll check on the cables!
Old 11-29-01, 09:22 AM
Cool New Member

I've had this same thing happen to me when I used my PS2 as a temp. DVD player. I found that my problem was that you need to turn everything on in the PS2s setup menu. By default DTS decoding is turned off, that is why Shrek wasn't playing in DTS...And if everything is already turned on, turn it all off and make sure it is saved as off and then go back in and turn it all back on. That seemed to fix my problem. Most likely you may have just missed a setting in the setup menu though. Hope it works.
Old 11-29-01, 09:35 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Here's 2 steps that will solve your problem:

1) Start up the PS2 without any disc inside so it loads up the PS2 menu. Go to the sound preferences and ENABLE Dolby Digital and DTS sound Output.

2) Start playing a DVD, while its playing, push the SELECT button on the controller and a transparent menu will pop up over the movie playing. Go over to the sound options and turn on Dolby Digitital and DTS output ON.

Step 2 is commonly missed I have no idea why you have to do it on the PS2 main menu and while the movie is playing but you only have to do it once. I've got a Denon 1801 and on that you have to select the DD or DTS by turning the knob. Once you do it right the first time then it automatically switches when a DD or DTS signal is played. Hope this helps!