DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

question about my receiver

Old 11-10-01, 12:22 PM

question about my receiver

I have an HK AVR 510 .. and for the longest time now after about an hour or two of play time, the subwoofer channel stops performing. i am sure that isnt the right terminology .. but bottom line is my subwoofer stops working.

if i shut down the receiver and start it up after about 10 minutes it is fine

once in a rare while .. the center channel has quit working on me too. I have had this for a year .. have i procrastinated too much on sending it back and replacing it?

if so .. what else can i do?

once when i called hk they asked me to hard reset the receiver maybe the settings were off .. after that it worked fine for a month or so, now the problem is back
Old 11-10-01, 03:09 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Is this a brand new setup?

Are you using a powered sub?

Check and make sure all your connections are good.

Also try another power outlet, like from the other side of the room. Maybe the circuit the outlet your receiver is plugged into, is overloaded.
Old 11-10-01, 04:34 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

If it is still under warranty, send it back to get serviced/replaced ASAP. It is not worth putting up with a problem that could lead to bigger failures down the road when the warranty is over. HK has really been running into some problems these last couple of years. Something is definitely wrong with their QC.

J

Last edited by Master J; 11-10-01 at 04:52 PM.
Old 11-11-01, 02:23 AM

Originally posted by palebluedot
Is this a brand new setup?
- well pretty much .. all the equipment was purchased in the last 12 months

Are you using a powered sub?
- yes .. i bought the sub from ebay though ?? but once or twice the center channel has given up too! and everything besides the sub was purchased from 800.com (during their huge msn promo's .. you guys remember that? this time, last year ? )

Check and make sure all your connections are good.
- yes, i tried this

Also try another power outlet, like from the other side of the room. Maybe the circuit the outlet your receiver is plugged into, is overloaded.
- this may be very very possible!! originally on this wall when i moved into this apartment, there was a 2 prong outlet .. and no 3 prong outlets. i spoke with my landlord, and he swapped it in a matter of 15 minutes .. i dunno much about electricals .. but that may be it .. i'll look into it

thanks!

Last edited by nabster; 11-11-01 at 02:28 AM.
Old 11-11-01, 02:26 AM

Originally posted by Master J
If it is still under warranty, send it back to get serviced/replaced ASAP. It is not worth putting up with a problem that could lead to bigger failures down the road when the warranty is over. HK has really been running into some problems these last couple of years. Something is definitely wrong with their QC.

J
yeah, it has been about 12 - 13 months tho I am afraid i may have procrastinated way too much?? any ideas ..

but at the same time, this problem has been there for a while .. and I have called HK Customer Service and logged a report twice .. they helped me through the problems then .. and i have documented emails from them about it .. I wonder if i still have a case. I am actually on vacation right now, but as soon as I get back home, I intend to call them up.

thanks for your help.
Old 11-11-01, 04:46 AM

could it be over heating ? i have the back side of my entertainment center open .. so i dont think thats the case .. and this unit is at the top .. on its own shelf.

maybe i should purchase a mini fan?
Old 11-11-01, 09:54 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally posted by nabster
could it be over heating ? i have the back side of my entertainment center open .. so i dont think thats the case .. and this unit is at the top .. on its own shelf.

maybe i should purchase a mini fan?
I doubt it's over-heating but it's possible. If the power thing doesn't work I would say you got a bum receiver and needs to be service.