DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

New speaker recommendations.

Old 11-06-01, 05:09 PM
Cool New Member

New speaker recommendations.

I'm considering getting a new speaker set. I need the fronts/rears/center/sub. I haven't personally auditioned any yet but will be doing it shortly.
I like the looks of Bose because the sat's are small. I don't want large speakers. Is the Acoustimass 6 Series II Home Theater Speaker System any good?
What other setups are good for about $500 (or less)?

Just looking for opinions.
de

Acoustimass 6 Series II Home Theater Speaker System
Old 11-06-01, 07:35 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Once you audition Bose, you won't want them either. Most legitimate speaker companies have a small sized set that will be of good value.
Old 11-06-01, 07:50 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

My suggestion:

PSB Alpha (fronts)
PSB Alpha (rears)
PSB Alpha Center
Sony WM-40 Sub

Total Cost: $588

Save money on the receiver if you have to. Speakers are most important IMO. Ohh yeah, Bose products tend to be terrible values.
Old 11-06-01, 07:57 PM
Cool New Member

Never heard of psb? But I wouldn't consider myself a longtime audiophile in home audio.
Do you happen to have a link?
BTW I already have a onkyo 575x receiver.

de
Old 11-06-01, 08:09 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

de,

really the best place to go is your local audio store, I'm not talking about Best Buy. when you look in the yellow pages you'll see local places that mention in their ad that they carry such brands as B&W, PSB, Paradigm, and many many more. These are places you need to go into with a favorite CD of yours. They will show you a few systems in your price range and you will start to determine what you like by listening to them. Pretty much none of these brands are going to be available through mail order though. This is a thing where it actually pays to buy locally as you will have made an informed decision on something that is very subjective. You can have 2 good speakers in front of you but decide that you don't like one of them at all once you listen for a bit. None of these stores will carry Bose though, if they do, then question the store's integrity.
Old 11-06-01, 09:59 PM

Hey DE; skar suggested a great sounding system. Also, I know a month ago or so your could find the Energy Take 5 system for under $500 at a few places. That would also be a great system.

BTW: You have a great receiver!
Old 11-06-01, 10:54 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by de8212
Never heard of psb? But I wouldn't consider myself a longtime audiophile in home audio.
Do you happen to have a link?
BTW I already have a onkyo 575x receiver.

de
Nice receiver. I have an Onkyo myself.

Try www.psbspeakers.com
A great site with a lot of info for newbies and audiophiles alike.
PSB has been making great speakers since the 1970's. They have never gotten popular because true hi-fi has always been and probably always will be a niche market. They take advantage of Canadian government research money to provide incredible values at a wide range of price points.

Originally posted by svadas
None of these stores will carry Bose though, if they do, then question the store's integrity.
I have to disagree here. I've been to a great hi-fi shop that carried Bose. I asked why and they told me they used to get people all the time who would walk in or call and ask "Do you carry Bose?", then walk out or hang up after they said no. So they started to carry a limited selection of Bose products. Now people walk in looking for Bose and walk out with KEF, Marantz, or Klipsch.
Old 11-07-01, 03:29 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by skar
My suggestion:

PSB Alpha (fronts)
PSB Alpha (rears)
PSB Alpha Center
Sony WM-40 Sub

Save money on the receiver if you have to. Speakers are most important IMO. Ohh yeah, Bose products tend to be terrible values.
This is a nice sounding system and a 575X will power it with ease.

psb isn't a household name because they don't have a huge marketing budget like some other companies.

Here are some reviews:

http://www.stereophile.com/showarchives.cgi?241
http://www.psbspeakers.com/ReviewsAlpha.html

Bose speakers are an extremely poor value.
Old 11-07-01, 04:49 AM
wiz
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

My suggestion:

PSB Alpha (fronts)
PSB Alpha (rears)
PSB Alpha Center
Sony WM-40 Sub

PSB Alpha A/V - $169 http://www.soundcity.com/bin/product...roduct_id=1122
PSB Alpha Center - $129 http://www.soundcity.com/bin/product.php?product_id=418
A good Subwoofer - ~$99 http://www.ubid.com/ (I have a 10" JBL Sub which is great)

BTW, here is what I have:

PSB Alpha A/V - $169 (Front)
PSB Alpha Center - $129 (Center)
PSB Alpha B - $229 (Rear)
JBL 10" Sub - $69

All powered by an Onkyo 484. I just got the Center and A/V's in today...sounds great.

Last edited by wiz; 11-07-01 at 04:53 AM.
Old 11-11-01, 12:40 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I have to disagree here. I've been to a great hi-fi shop that carried Bose. I asked why and they told me they used to get people all the time who would walk in or call and ask "Do you carry Bose?", then walk out or hang up after they said no. So they started to carry a limited selection of Bose products. Now people walk in looking for Bose and walk out with KEF, Marantz, or Klipsch.
I agree with this assessment. The local store where I have purchased a lot of my gear carries the Acoustimess 15 - specifically so that customers can compare this fine product with real speakers
Old 11-12-01, 08:26 AM
Cool New Member

No highs, no lows, must be Bose!

Dr. Amar Bose is the PT Barnum of the HiFi business...he's the guy who said "There is a sucker born every minute".

Svadas has offered good advice imo.