DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Another LD question

Old 11-02-01, 07:20 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Another LD question

Hey Randy or anyone else is this player any good? pioneer
ld-v4200. I have the chance to buy one for 50 shipped but it is missing the remote. Should I want and look more or what. Thanks again for all the help
Old 11-02-01, 10:47 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Not specific to that model, but... LD players usually have a lot of functionality on the remote, such as selecting audio channels, etc. I wouldn't buy a DVD player with no remote, and likewise I wouldn't buy an LD player without a remote.
Old 11-02-01, 12:35 PM
Super Moderator

Yeah, don't buy a player without a remote. You will not be able to switch the audio tracks.
Old 11-03-01, 07:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Isn't that an industrial model?
Old 11-03-01, 10:22 PM
Cool New Member

Originally posted by KnightSkywalker
Isn't that an industrial model?
Yes. It is one level below the LD-V8000 (mine) which was supposed to be their top-of-the-line industrial model.

MrPink
For about $110 you can purchase a new remote from Pioneer which means you'll still have less than $200 in the machine. According to a two-year-old catalog I have, the SRP for the LD-V4400 was $1595. The LD-V8000 was $2695.

Lee
Old 11-04-01, 09:10 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

well I just bought a CLDS201 Pioneer player for about 58 shipped with a remote.
Does anyone have any good online places or anywhere to get LD's?
I would like to get Star Wars, Indiana Jones, Crash,
Ken Cranes did have Star Wars but they are now out. thanks for your help
Old 11-05-01, 12:35 AM
Super Moderator

Mr. Pink, that is a very low end player, so keep that in mind. Still worth what you paid though.

For a search of laserdiscs, you can go to:
Jeff's Laserdisc finder:
http://www.rtr.com/~jeff/index.asp

My store and other stores are listed there. I find eBay to be a great source of rare discs, just make sure the seller packs the discs in a box. Not a padded bag. Sigh...

You missed the wonder days of the factory blowouts where great LDs were being dumped for a song.

But check out:
http://www.eavlaser.com/ a great source for $2 and $3 laserdiscs. I have bought hundreds and hundreds of discs from them.

Also:
http://www.kencranes.com/
http://www.renaissancemusicmedia.com/
http://www.rossexchange.com/
Old 11-05-01, 08:55 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I know that the player was on the low end but for the price with a remote I thought it was pretty good. Also I plan on getting a new DVD player at the end of the year when the new models come out. DVD is more important than LD. I wanted to get the first one that I talked about but not interested in spending a 110. for a remote. I don't think that I will spend near as much ( I hope) in laserdisc as I do with DVD. The eavlaser has Star Wars A New Hope but none of the others. And they seem to go for too much on ebay. Thanks again for all of your help, and if anyone else has any more sites for laserdiscs keep them coming. SHould probably put them up on a page or something.
Old 11-09-01, 12:11 AM

OK, I am really looking into getting a LD player. I have no clue about any of the specs on them. I was just wondering if it is possible to find a DECENT one for about $75. In this price range, would it be plausible to get one with AC-3 and S-video? If not, what would be the price range. If anybody could throw out some intermediate players names besides the elite series.......it would be appreciated. thanks Email me with any other info you might have that would make my buying one easier or more enjoyable. Thanks

Chris
[email protected]
Old 11-11-01, 07:39 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

the best place I found to get my player was on ebay. Found someoene with good feedback. Randy here seems to be the LD expert.
Old 11-11-01, 01:55 PM

Is there a site that tells some of the better LD players to get. I see a bunch on ebay and plan on getting one but I don't know which ones I should be looking at.
Old 11-11-01, 08:37 PM

You should also check pawn shops in your area. The shipping can be quite high on the players.