DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

layer changing

Old 10-26-01, 04:13 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

layer changing

Just curious what other people have experienced. I have had 3 DVD players so far. My first, still in use at my brothers, was a pretty low end Toshiba i think, honestly cant recall, but I loved it. had the best frame by frame i've seen so far.

My 2nd was a Thompson model, and my current player is a sony.

My question is this. On the first 2 players I can't recall any hesitation or notice of layer changing, but on the sony, no matter how invovled the disk is, meaning DTS sound, and things, There is a always a noticable layer change.

Is this the norm? Or is this something thats happening with newer players out there. Just curious, I can live with it as long as I dont have to get off my butt and turn the thing over myself. hehehe.

I dont have the exactly models to mention here, but i guess I'm asking is there a norm out there for this. The sony image is much better than the Thompson even on our Thompson screen, but I liked the Thompson better but I dont recall it being DTS, I have to check. It is also still in use but it was given away.

Jim
Old 10-26-01, 04:23 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Almost all players puase on dual layer DVD's. Some more then others. I think the reason you notice it now is that almost all DVD's are dual-layer to pack in the features where the used to have single layer back in the day hence no layer change.
Old 10-26-01, 05:04 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

yup, but there is definitely a way noticable difference on the newer machine. It was worth the upgrade i guess but was just curious. I can take the same disk to the old machine and the layer change is almost not seen.

Was just curious.
Old 10-26-01, 04:41 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

It really depends upon the player. I have used some players where you don't notice the layer change at all and others where it was very obvious.
Old 10-27-01, 09:31 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I've had 3 machines all Toshiba, 3008, 2109, and 5109. I would have to say they all handle it about the same. Noticeable but tolerable.
Old 10-29-01, 12:07 PM

Anyone know why DVD player manufacturers haven't worked out some kind of memory caching system to overcome the layer change delay? One would think this would be a no-brainer. (No-brainer that we would want it... not in actually producing it... )

Perhaps it would require a good sized RAM cache (1 - 2 gigs?), but I would think the technology would be relatively easy to impilement, no?
Old 10-29-01, 01:44 PM
X
Administrator

Originally posted by Skywa|ker
Anyone know why DVD player manufacturers haven't worked out some kind of memory caching system to overcome the layer change delay? One would think this would be a no-brainer. (No-brainer that we would want it... not in actually producing it... )

Perhaps it would require a good sized RAM cache (1 - 2 gigs?), but I would think the technology would be relatively easy to impilement, no?
I've wondered that myself. By the way, it would only have to be a few meg. A whole DVD is only 4 - 9 gigs.
Old 10-29-01, 02:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by Skywa|ker

Denon's current line of DVD players are equipped with memory buffers for exactly this purpose.
Old 10-29-01, 02:21 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I have to check the specs on our Thompson model, it must have had this feature too.
Old 10-30-01, 03:29 AM

Originally posted by Mr. Salty

Denon's current line of DVD players are equipped with memory buffers for exactly this purpose.
One of the reasons I think my next player will be a Denon. Seriously wonder why no other manufactures have caught on to this.