Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

DD/DTS Receiver Comments

DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

DD/DTS Receiver Comments

Old 10-15-01, 09:30 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 35 Likes on 31 Posts
DD/DTS Receiver Comments

I'm looking for any member feedback on any of these units. I'm looking to pick up one of these:

JVC RX-7010V
Onkyo TX-DS494
Pioneer VSX-D710S
Sony STR-DE875

Thanks,
Rich
Old 10-15-01, 03:04 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The Onkyo 494 is a great receiver for the money. Do a quick search and you will find many posts about it.
Old 10-15-01, 07:23 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I second the Onkyo. I own the Onkyo 484 (last year's model). Excellent sound quality and good clean power. It can't be beat in the sub $300 price range.
Old 10-15-01, 07:31 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Personally I would stay away from the Sony DE875. It does not do 6 channel decoding but just a virtual mode which is total crap. If you are looking for a nicely priced Sony go for the DB series. DB series has better construction, terminals, and power ratings. I actually saw the www.onecall.com still has some Sony DB930 available which you should be able to get at a steal of a price.

If you can afford it, I would take a look at the Pioneer 810. It adds the extra channel of amplification for a center surround channel. It is an extra speaker, but it is always nice to have that option especially if you are buying a receiver right now.

I cannot really comment on JVC receivers, because I have never owned one nor throughly listened to one. To be frank their ergonomics and build quality do not appeal to me even a little bit. Some have had some success with their receivers, and I am sure their current units are quite capable. Just not my cup of tea.

Onkyo makes nice solid units you can usually get for decent prices. Very nice bang for the buck.

J
Old 10-16-01, 11:12 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I second the motion to stay away from that Sony line. A few years ago when I was shopping for my receiver, I was going to get the Sony, just because of the name. The (actually helpful) salesperson insisted I listen to the Sony & the other brands side-by-side. The difference was clear, the Sony paled in comparison. Thus I am very happy with my Denon, a brand I had never heard of up to that point.
Old 10-16-01, 11:47 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Well I will third the motion that Sony's are crap, even though nobody put it that way cause they are too kind Way too overpriced for the performance you get. Basically the Monster Cable/Bose Acoustimass of the receiver world(ouch! I compared them to Bose thats harsh)

Pioneer is a decent product, as is the JVC. You get what you pay for with those two.

If you are looking for a good receiver that gives the most bang for your buck, try the Onkyo 494 or a Denon 1802.

Given those two choices I would choose the Denon just cause I have a soft spot for the way they sound with my equipment
Old 10-17-01, 04:50 AM
wiz
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally posted by skar
I second the Onkyo. I own the Onkyo 484 (last year's model). Excellent sound quality and good clean power. It can't be beat in the sub $300 price range.
I also agree, I have the 484 also and it is a great receiver. Especially since it was only $144 at ubid.com.
Old 10-20-01, 09:21 PM

I would say ....from my experience....my dad owns the onkyo...and I have a denon 1802....bought new for 299....I think mine has better features and sound than his....so my vote would be that you should take a look at the denon..but ultimately..go to a store and listen..see what sounds best.
Old 10-23-01, 02:45 AM

I needed a budget receiver and, after some online research, finally decided to go with a Pioneer VSX-D710S from a local Best Buy when they had it for sale at $279. Already hooked up and tested with my Yamaha YST-SW120 when I noticed a small dent on the receiver's cover. I drove back to exchange it for the same model when I ran acrosss an open box mint Yamaha HTR-5280 for $399 (sale price for brand new was about $569 IIRC). Although it's about $120 more than my budget, I took the Yamaha being the bargain sucker that I am. Compared to the nice D710S, my 5280 performs noticably better for DTS movies. That and the RAV212 remote make this buy feels like the best home theater deal in a long while. The only thing I need now is a bang-for-the-buck center speaker. Any suggestions?
Old 10-23-01, 11:27 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by EekTheCat
The only thing I need now is a bang-for-the-buck center speaker. Any suggestions?
PSB Alpha Center - Can be found for about $129 online.