Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

digital headphones

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-01, 07:40 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
digital headphones

I am looking for very good headphones to listen to my movies to.
I work the evening shift (6pm-2-5am at times) and when I come home, I like to put on a movie without disturbing anybody. Price is not a problem. Quality is.
Any ideas?
Al.
Old 10-13-01, 07:46 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

oops!!

I should have not put "quality is." in there. I want headphones that will last and that will perform really well bass wise.
Al.
Old 10-13-01, 04:55 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I'd look into the Sennheiser HD 500's. Excellent sound quality. A bit too much bass for my tastes, but I like things fairly mellow in that area (I have and love the HD 570's).

You might also consider the Grado SR-60's or SR-80's

all of the above range from abou $70-$140
Old 10-14-01, 07:04 AM

If you want a lot of bass the look for Sony's V-6 model of headphone. It's the same as their profesional 7506 model, but sells for about $80 rather then $130. It's a closed can, meaning it will block out sound but there will be some compromise in sound quality.

I personally really like the Sennheisser HD-600's a lot. They sell for around $200-$350 so shop around (lowest prices are ebay or refurbished). For a little less you can get the HD-580's for $140-$200, they use the same drivers but are housed in a diffrent enclosure. Both cans have better bass then most subs I've heard. The sound is absolutely wonderful straight out of a portable cd player, with great imaging for a headphone. There are people who will say they need a sepearate headphone amp to sound their best but in a comparison of a $1000 headphone amp to my $40 portable, they can easily be driven to very dangerously loud levels by even a cheap portable and maintain very good sound quality. They are highly regarded throughout the "audiophile" community for studio quality sound (many studios use both models for headphone monitoring). They do not block out sound, so if you listen at high volumes with others in the room they will probably hear some sound.

I bought the 580's with a Surround processing headphone amp that is actually pretty good, all for $200. I've seen this combo selling still, but I can't remembter the link right now.

Check out www.Headwize.com and www.Head-Fi.org for very good headphone forums.

Some other good headphones to try out:

Grados - many models but I personally don't care for them. The highs are way to bright and to me are just to colored.

Etymotic Research ER4S - Maybe the best headphone of all, but it's an in ear type that is not for everyone. Will block out the most sound of any headphone.

AKG - The 501's have great reviews, but not to much bass.
Old 10-15-01, 12:32 AM

I need two sets. Most of the times I prefer to use my cordless sennhieser's. Cordless is a big convience unless your seating is very close to the source and you worry about someone tripping over the extended cord. Otherwise I also enjoy a set of 580's.
Old 10-15-01, 07:09 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Check out this thread on the Sony MDR-DS5100 Virtual DTS/DD Phones:

http://www.dvdtalk.com/forum/showthr...hreadid=119950

Lots of good info.
Old 10-15-01, 07:46 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

headphones

Thanks everyone and Nekobus.
I will have to head to my nearest Sony Store and try the 5100's out!!
Al.
Old 10-15-01, 01:41 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 73 Likes on 50 Posts
Another vote for the Sennheisser headphones. I own the 580s and use them a lot. They sound terrific and are VERY comfortable. I've also tried the 600s which is the later model. I would recommend both models.
Old 10-15-01, 07:52 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Grado SR-225 and SR-325. Wonderful headphones. The only cans I've ever listened to that sound better than Sein's.