Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

Splitting DBS lines??

Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Splitting DBS lines??

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-01, 09:02 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 28 Likes on 19 Posts
Splitting DBS lines??

Hi all,

I have 3 receivers and one satellite dish, DirecTV. What is the best way to split one line so that it can feed 2 receivers and not lost too much signal? I read that I would need a multi-switch, but I want some advice. If that is what I need, which is the one with the best results?
Thanks for any help,

Neitzl
Old 10-05-01, 08:30 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Yes, you will need a 4 way multi-switch (accomodates up to 4 receivers) to your dual LNB dish (dont use a multi switch designed for Dish). If you have an external VHF/UHF antenna, your will need a diplexor for each receiver as well. The switch should also be able to amplify the signal.
Old 10-05-01, 01:37 PM

Most good quality multi-switches will also include the diplexer for your UHF/VHF antenna input. You may also be able to save yourself some money by using a high quality 1-->2 splitter if you are only connecting the two recievers and don't use UHF/VHF.
Old 10-06-01, 10:52 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I forgot that I had posted this.

I did buy a multi switch, I guess it was designed for DBS systems, it says so on the box, but it doesn't work. One receiver will work fine, but the other two will not get all the channels. It's working my last good nerve. It also had a UHF/VHF input. THe maker of the multiswitch is RCA. Is there a better one that will work? I bought this one at radio shack....bad move?

Thanks for the help!

Neitzl
Old 10-07-01, 07:10 PM

What type of dish antenna do you have? A dual LNB antenna is req'd for the multi switches to work, single LNB or twin will not work.
Old 10-07-01, 07:35 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I have a round dish, DUAL LNB. I tried connecting both lines to the multiswitch, but some receivers did not get all the channels, and even lost the signal a lot.
Any ideas?

Neitzl
Old 10-08-01, 08:52 AM
Banned

What type of Multi Switch do you use? I use a Spaun, 4 in with 6 out. My dish came with a Channel Master 4 out - its just sitting here doing nothing
Old 10-09-01, 09:01 AM

Sounds like you are using the standard RCA multi-switch for Directv systems. Could be a bad switch.

Can you give us some more info on your setup?

Just as an FYI/precaution to all on multiswitches...

Don't split the lines from each receiver to the multiswitch, as each receiver must have its own dedicated lead. Each receiver requires access to both odd and even transponders. Installing the multiswitch improperly may damage your receiver as each one sends different voltages to the switch/lnb in order to activate the desired transponders.
Old 10-09-01, 07:56 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

this is the one I have...I hope the link works...
RCA Multiswitch

I have a standard dish, dual LNB. I have 3 receivers, but as of right now, only 2 of them are working. Two receivers have one coax running to them. The third has just the antenna, which does not pick up much OTA HDTV, living IN the city sucks for that, I guess, right?

Anyhow...I am returning the switch..should I try another and see if it does work?

Neitzl
Old 10-09-01, 09:27 PM
Banned

http://www.copperbox.com/lite/popinf...a90a931ff0c4d7

Take a look at this, I'm not familiar with it, but it looks like it would meet your needs.

I know the Spaun would, but are you interested in spending $350 for one
Old 10-10-01, 11:05 AM

Originally posted by Neitzl
this is the one I have...I hope the link works...
RCA Multiswitch

I have a standard dish, dual LNB. I have 3 receivers, but as of right now, only 2 of them are working. Two receivers have one coax running to them. The third has just the antenna, which does not pick up much OTA HDTV, living IN the city sucks for that, I guess, right?

Anyhow...I am returning the switch..should I try another and see if it does work?
If 2 of your receivers are fine then I think it's the switch that's bad but...let me ask some more questions

I'm still not quite clear on your setup so correct me if I'm wrong. You have your odd and even satellite signals from the dish going to your multiswitch. You also mention a separate VHF/UHF antenna.

Do you have this vhf/uhf antenna feeding into the multiswitch as well? If so, then you have the output lines (containing both the satellite and vhf/uhf signal) from the multiswitch running to each of the receiver. Are you using diplexers at the receiver to split the satellite and VHF/UHF signals?
Old 10-16-01, 07:52 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Exchanged the old multiswitch for the same one, just new, and all is good. Now I just can't get my local channels, even though the other two receivers do...gotta call DTV and see if they know whats up.

Neitzl