Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Please Help

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-01, 05:34 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Please Help

Today my DVD player went on the fritz and because it is no longer under warranty, it is time to buy a new one. Ok, I have a few questions here. My receiver is a 5.1/DTS surround sound unit with both 5.1 and coaxial and digital inputs. In looking at all the new DVD players, they only have coaxial and digital outputs, no 5.1. Am I going to loose the 5.1 sound? Also, I am looking at the Philips DVD782CH. If anyone has this or knows anything about it, that would be helpful. Thank you all for you help.
Justin
Old 09-17-01, 06:15 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Re: Please Help

Originally posted by Landshark
Today my DVD player went on the fritz and because it is no longer under warranty, it is time to buy a new one. Ok, I have a few questions here. My receiver is a 5.1/DTS surround sound unit with both 5.1 and coaxial and digital inputs. In looking at all the new DVD players, they only have coaxial and digital outputs, no 5.1. Am I going to loose the 5.1 sound? Also, I am looking at the Philips DVD782CH. If anyone has this or knows anything about it, that would be helpful. Thank you all for you help.
Justin
No. Coaxial or optical (both digital) will pass the digital soundstream to the receiver. Your 5.1 input on your receiver is probably analog. Avoid that and go for a digital connection. Your receiver will decode DTS and DD and you will get great 5.1 sound.

I'm not a big Philips fan. I would look to Panasonic or Pioneer for a great low end DVD player. Panasonic CV51 if you are looking for a five-discer.
Old 09-17-01, 08:23 PM

Thanks for the help. Why do you not like Philips? Bad experience?
Old 09-17-01, 08:57 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I'm never owned a Philips DVD player. My experience with their other electronics has been average at best. I just believe that you can get a better player for the same amount of money from a different company.
Old 09-17-01, 09:04 PM

Thanks for the post and the advice.