Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

Sears price match may be ending

DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Old 09-05-01, 01:14 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The buzz on some other fora is that Sears is cracking down on price matching on-line retailers. The key term in their pm policy is "established on-line retailers" and they've apparently made a list of exactly which ones are established. They're some not-so-competitive sites like bestbuy.com, circuitcity.com, and wal-mart.com. And it's not just in response to all the widescreens that people are getting cheap - they're getting raped even worse in automotive.

Bottom-line: don't delay if you want to pm the Tosh 50H81 for $2095 to continentaltrading.com!!!
Old 09-05-01, 02:01 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 136 Likes on 105 Posts
I just pricematched at Sears yesterday with Video-Direct.com for a Sony Receiver (STRDE1075) that was $170 less.

Woohoo!!

Old 09-05-01, 03:48 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

If Continental Trading can sell it for that price and I know Sears has to get the Set cheaper then them becuase of thier buying power I wonder....
( Yes I know Sears has higher operational costs to cover )

High mark-ups are going the way of the Dinosaur. They better streamline thier business model or they will die like Wards did.

Anyway i'll just buy it online then if they can't match the price. Bought 2 RPTV's online with no problems and hundreds of DVD's.

Even Best buy and Circuit City have wised up and offer decent sales on new release DVD's.
Old 09-05-01, 04:09 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by cubanx

Even Best buy and Circuit City have wised up and offer decent sales on new release DVD's.
Actually the prices of new releases seem to be going up at BB and CC. I lot are starting at $19.99 now. I realize this is totally off topic.

Back on topic:

I heard some Sears stopped internet price matching a couple of months ago. They were not making much money because their overhead is a LOT more than internet sites. I can't blame them. No one else seems to match internet prices. I was never very interested because Sears (at least the ones I've been to) doesn't carry any of the audio brands I like.

Last edited by skar; 09-05-01 at 04:20 PM.
Old 09-06-01, 04:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 10 Likes on 1 Post
Glad I got my VVega pricematched back in Feb.... Even got an additional 10% off the "matched price" becuase I opened an account with them.

I hate to see that go... I may just have to go pick up a few more items before the matching stops.

-k
###
Old 09-06-01, 05:02 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

glad i got some stuff there for my new cabin and my brother got his dvd player.. hopefully they will still match.... let's go digital is a favorite of mine to use....
Old 09-07-01, 01:46 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Yeap. My Sear's guy told me that they were cracking down and would only price match established B&M and online retailers. No more matching the lowest price from any online store.
Old 09-07-01, 08:48 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Looks like I just got mine on time. I did an internet pricematch on Monday.
Old 09-07-01, 09:43 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by Goblincat
Looks like I just got mine on time. I did an internet pricematch on Monday.
I believe it also depends on how strict your local area Sear managers are.
Old 09-07-01, 10:56 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Yes it depends on the store manager. My local Sears sucks big time, I have never been able to price match any damn thing! Even when it is a few dollars less they still won't do it if it is an online store, no matter how much I complained, and the manager is the stingiest guy I've ever met, he keeps trying to act like he is right and it is store policy even when I'm right bla bla, sorry I didn't mean to ramble, this is just my sears. I've found others that are much MUCH better than mine.

Where can we get this list of approved online retailers?
Old 09-07-01, 12:12 PM

You should ask for the name and phone # of the district manager for your local Sears. Trust me, that'll scare the living sh!t into the store manager and I bet he'll cave. Make sure you have a print-out of the PM policy from the Sears web site. Just be calm and tell him you want a clarification of the PM policy from his boss. Believe me (personal experience working at Sears in high school), it works.

I don't know where the list of "established online retailers" is available.

Originally posted by Outlaw
Yes it depends on the store manager. My local Sears sucks big time, I have never been able to price match any damn thing! Even when it is a few dollars less they still won't do it if it is an online store, no matter how much I complained, and the manager is the stingiest guy I've ever met, he keeps trying to act like he is right and it is store policy even when I'm right bla bla, sorry I didn't mean to ramble, this is just my sears. I've found others that are much MUCH better than mine.

Where can we get this list of approved online retailers?
Old 09-07-01, 01:12 PM

I was looking to get a Wega a few months ago, just as the new versions came out. The Sears I went to one day had some old, some new. They only had one older Wega left and it was the display model. They refused to take anything off the price even though it had been on display for months!

The guy said he "asked his manager" and was told that it's no longer company policy to reduce the price of the floor model.

I told him, "then tell your manager he just lost a $1000 sale."

BooYA!
Old 09-07-01, 02:30 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by Stats
You should ask for the name and phone # of the district manager for your local Sears.
My Sear's guy told me the crackdown was FROM the district manager, so this won't work in my case.
Old 09-07-01, 03:22 PM

I got a Panasonic RV-31 for 150 at sears with an online pricematch.
Old 09-07-01, 11:53 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally posted by Stats
You should ask for the name and phone # of the district manager for your local Sears.

Originally posted by nekobus
My Sear's guy told me the crackdown was FROM the district manager, so this won't work in my case.
awww man, I'll have to see what I can do. I do appreciate the advice though Stats, thanks.
Old 09-09-01, 11:00 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
If worse comes to worst with a particularly irritating manager, you can always write a complaint letter to:

Sears Customer Relations
3333 Beverly Rd.
Hoffman Estates, IL 60179
ATTN: National Customer Relations

I did that last year when Sears employees kept buying up their PS2's before they'd put them out on the shelves. They'd tell me to check back on the shipment days. When I did, they told me that they did have some in, but that it would take about an hour to get them out on the shelves. I waited around for an hour, and they eventually told me that they didn't have any. This happened several times. I tried talking to the local manager and other employees, but he kept telling me they hadn't gotten any in (when I knew for certain they had- other employees told me they had, and I actually saw employees leaving there at night with them). I wrote the national address, and within a week informed me (by telephone) that he HAD indeed received several. Then they set up a three way conference call with them, the manager, and me. They informed them of my situation, and "advised" him to hold one of the systems from their next shipment for me. By the time another shipment from came in, I'd already found one at Amazon, but it was a terrific response. It's certainly worth a shot.