Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

HDTV...widescreen...VVegas....the whole bit!

Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-01, 04:08 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I wish I knew more about all this stuff, but it just goes in one ear, and flies straight out the other two...

If I buy an HDTV-ready TV, is it a widescreen set (and thus a 16x9 set) that anamorphic DVDs can take advantage of?

If I buy a Sony VVega, and use the 16x9 mode, does this take advantage of the anamorphic DVD?

Lastly, would anyone recommend buying a VVega over a lower-end HDTV set?

Are there TVs out there that can completely omit the black bars on WS discs? If so, what kind of prices do these sets have?
Old 09-04-01, 04:40 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Re: HDTV...widescreen...VVegas....the whole bit!

Originally posted by Toad
I wish I knew more about all this stuff, but it just goes in one ear, and flies straight out the other two...

If I buy an HDTV-ready TV, is it a widescreen set (and thus a 16x9 set) that anamorphic DVDs can take advantage of?
Often, but not always. Lots of HDTV-ready TV's are 16x9 and lots are 4x3.

If I buy a Sony VVega, and use the 16x9 mode, does this take advantage of the anamorphic DVD?
Yes you get to use the full resolution of the anamorphic DVD, but you still have a letterboxed picture.

Lastly, would anyone recommend buying a VVega over a lower-end HDTV set?
I personally would prefer a Toshiba 50H81 or something similiar. Larger picture and 16x9 makes a big difference.

Are there TVs out there that can completely omit the black bars on WS discs? If so, what kind of prices do these sets have?
The problem is that movies are filmed in different aspect ratios. Many are 1.85:1 and 2.35:1. Some are 1.66:1 and 2.66:1. So no one screen can fit all movies without distortion. Part of reason front projection systems are becoming more popular.
Old 09-04-01, 06:06 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

skar, they now have a VVega (I believe) direct view widescreen HDTV. Of course they wanted way too much.. I went with the TAU (Panny.)

http://www.sel.sony.com/SEL/consumer...s/kw34hd1.html
Old 09-04-01, 06:14 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by matchpenalty
skar, they now have a VVega (I believe) direct view widescreen HDTV. Of course they wanted way too much.. I went with the TAU (Panny.)

http://www.sel.sony.com/SEL/consumer...s/kw34hd1.html
I forgot about that TV. I saw it at a local store. At that price, plasma is the way to go. His question was about the 16x9 mode, so I assumed a 4:3 TV.
Old 09-04-01, 08:14 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by skar

I forgot about that TV. I saw it at a local store. At that price, plasma is the way to go. His question was about the 16x9 mode, so I assumed a 4:3 TV.
Yes, for that much money, one could get a 42" Pannie plasma AND a nice high-end progressive player. It would save the old back too.