Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

Thinking of upgrading my DVD player - any reccommendations?

Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-01, 12:06 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a 3 year old Toshiba 2109. Its never given me any problems, but I recently purchased a Sony 36" XBR400, and I was wondering if I would benefit from having a DVD player that was "Progressive Scan" as opposed to my Tosh which is not? And if so, what the DVD-talkers thought of any progressive scan units out there? I wouldn't be getting rid of the Tosh - if anything, I'd put it in the bedroom or guest room. The movies I have watched look beautiful (and I have yet to tweak things up via my copy od DVD Essentials - thanks again to DVDTalk ) but obviously if I can sqeeze any more efficiency and/or performance from my television by adding a new DVD player, I would be interested in doing so.
Old 09-04-01, 12:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
I purchased the new Sony DVP NS700P, which is progressive scan for my 36XBR400 as well.

Although I does have the chroma bug, I have not noticed it or stopped to look for it for that matter. It is arguable that I actually get any benefit from a progressive player on this TV but at ~$300 retail I think this is a hard player to beat.
Old 09-04-01, 12:13 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Panasonic RP91. Great progressive scan player.

If your TV (and I'm 99% sure the 36XBR400 does) accepts a progressive image, you should strongly consider upgrading to a progressive scan DVD player.
Old 09-04-01, 03:57 PM
AOD

Originally posted by Brian Shannon
I purchased the new Sony DVP NS700P, which is progressive scan for my 36XBR400 as well.

Although I does have the chroma bug, I have not noticed it or stopped to look for it for that matter. It is arguable that I actually get any benefit from a progressive player on this TV but at ~$300 retail I think this is a hard player to beat.
Agreed. An excellent player.
Old 09-04-01, 04:27 PM

OK, based on these responses, my next question is what exactly is this Chroma Bug problem that has been reported to (from what I gathered using the search option) plague Sony players? I remember when I was considering a Sony over my Tosh that lip-synching was a possible issue for a few Sonys and the Tosh had none - hence my decision to go with the Tosh. Is this a similar issue? Nothing against the Panasonic player, I just happen to be a bit more partial to Sonys (assuming I don't hear any negative things concerning the component I am looking to purchase). I'm out the door from work here, so I plan on looking around online when I get home regarding the Chroma Bug issue - unless someone can shine the light for me here?

Thanks all for your input
Old 09-05-01, 07:04 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
This is a rather long link to a test for various players.

http://www.hometheaterhifi.com/volume_7_4/dvd-benchmark-part-5-progressive-10-2000.html

There is an explanation of the chroma bug in here. It is a bug that is confined to a chipset not a player specifically.

Good luck.
Old 09-05-01, 09:01 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Re: Thinking of upgrading my DVD player - any reccommendations?

Originally posted by dvddude23
I have a 3 year old Toshiba 2109. Its never given me any problems, but I recently purchased a Sony 36" XBR400, and I was wondering if I would benefit from having a DVD player that was "Progressive Scan" as opposed to my Tosh which is not? And if so, what the DVD-talkers thought of any progressive scan units out there? I wouldn't be getting rid of the Tosh - if anything, I'd put it in the bedroom or guest room. The movies I have watched look beautiful (and I have yet to tweak things up via my copy od DVD Essentials - thanks again to DVDTalk ) but obviously if I can sqeeze any more efficiency and/or performance from my television by adding a new DVD player, I would be interested in doing so.
Wow ... what a coincidence. I too replaced my almost 3 year old 2109 with a Progressive Scan player.

I chose the Malata N996 player from avdeals and the improvement in image quality is astounding on my Toshiba 40H80 - especially with good transfers. I can wholeheartedly recommend this player as a replacement for your 2109 (and it's region-free to boot !!)

Make sure you read the Secrets' Shootout results and the accompanying articles/explanations.