Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

JVC Progressive scan Player

Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-01, 12:27 AM
Cool New Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey guys,

I just got a new progressive scan player from JVC for my 65" HDTV. I plugged it into the component video just like my old player plugged into it.

When I run a disc without the progressive scan activated it runs just like any other DVD player, but when I try to activate the progressive scan option it gives me a weird double screen effect with two pictures running at the same time side by side.

Is something wrong with my player or is it possible I didn't hook it up correctly?

I was thinking that perhaps I had the component video hooked up incorrectly, however, if that were true, the picture would look messed up when I run a disc without the progressive mode activated.

Any help would be appreciated.

I don't know the exact model number, but its the JVC that plays CDR as well as having a progressive mode. The player itself is pretty thin in height, thinner than most players and has a silver casing. Pretty new player, being released only a couple of months ago.

This is the model, just found it on the internet: Model: XV-S65GD
Thanks.

Last edited by Supermac34; 08-29-01 at 12:31 AM.
Old 08-29-01, 08:10 AM

There is a button on the remote tha does this. It can actally show the picture in nine windows. I can't remember which one it was though because I pressed it again to get the picture back to normal.

Try the VFP button that switches from interlaced to progressive scan. Don't hold it down but just tap it. You should see a menu of picture options. It might be in there.

BTW I have the 62SL which is the same model, only silver.
Old 08-29-01, 11:20 AM
Cool New Member

Yeah, I try the VFP button, and when I hold it down that's when it splits the screen. I'm not talking about the screen that cuts it into like nine pictures, I'm talking about an actual error that splits the screen rather than running it in progressive mode.

Bottom line: I can't get my progressive scan to work and I don't know why. HELP!!!
Old 08-29-01, 11:27 AM

I don't know anything about this DVD player or this TV, but I hooked up a prgessive scan player for my brother a while back and had a similar problem.

If I remember right, I had to plug the component video cable into a different input on the TV to take the 480P signal.

Is there a digital TV-in or HD-in on the TV besided the standard component in??
Old 08-29-01, 01:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I bought a Pioneer 850s. 6.1/7.1 dts-es. This is just for my room until i get my very own house.
Old 08-29-01, 01:40 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

This happened to me the first time I connected my progressive player to my HDTV. You cannot use the regular Component Video connections on your TV, your player needs to be connected to the DTV (Video 5 on my TV) input on the back of your TV.

My TV only has the one inputs. If I end up getting a Digital tuner I'll need to upgrade my receiver to one that does component switching (looking at the Denon 3802).

Old 08-29-01, 03:44 PM
Cool New Member

Crap, if that's the case then I have to pull my big ass TV out of the built-ins on the wall. Two to three man job.

Thanks for the info, cause I only connected the component video that was in my other DVD player to me new one and didn't even bother changing them from the TV.
Old 08-30-01, 10:35 AM

What kind of TV do you have?? On my Mits 55807 it will take 480p on all component inputs. It only has one 1080i input through which the HDTV receiver connects to it.

If your picture hasn't worked in progressive mode but does for interlaced then it probably is an input problem.
Old 08-31-01, 12:40 AM
Cool New Member

I have a 65" Proscan. Don't know what the model is.