DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Apex 500w

Old 08-24-01, 08:18 AM
steak

Apex 500w

Is this a good player? It is currently available through walmart.com using orderbox for $75.

Thanks,
Steak
Old 08-24-01, 09:01 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
That is a great deal, but a mediocre player. To get a good player you have to spend about $150-$175.
Old 09-22-01, 06:21 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Out of the Apex models which is the best? Should it have Progressive Scan ?
Old 09-24-01, 08:52 AM

I don't follow Apex enough to know much about them, but anyway... They have a model called the AD-7701, which may or may not be out yet. It reads all formats (practically) including SACD, DVD-Audio, and MP3, and is progressive scan. Apex players are typically full of features and really cheap.

When I first heard about them, I kept hearing reports of poor quality and lots of glitches, so I stopped really paying attention to them. I think one of the major things going for them is, they're among the few companies (I can only think of Denon as the other) whose players can buffer right through the layer change on DVDs and not make the pause noticeable.