Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

help please - do I need a pre-amp or an amp??

DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Old 08-23-01, 11:52 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a Sony mini-system with 5 speakers. I want to make the rear speakers louder. I want to run the speaker wire from the back of my system and into either an amp or preamp and then out to the speakers. What do I get for that - amp or pre-amp?? Also, can I use a car amp - those seem to be cheaper. Since I'm not looking for a lot of power, it seems like that would suffice.

Thanks
Old 08-23-01, 12:18 PM

You would need an amp-here's the problem. If your sony doesn't have preamp outs, then you'd end up hooking up the amp via an output-like a tape loop or line out, which isn't tied to the volume control, so there's no way to control the volume.

Here are a few options-

Find an amp with high level (speaker) inputs. This will allow you to control the volume through your existing system.

Hook up your output to a receiver/integrated amp. You'll be able to control the volume through the add on unit.

If you do use a car stereo amp, you'll need a power inverter to get the 12v power supply-and a trigger for the on switch on the amp (easy to rig up). Then use the high level (not the RCA) inputs and it should work.

Use active speakers-these have built in power. You'll have to control the volume seperately, but it's easier and probably cheaper.
Old 08-23-01, 12:19 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Car Amps run on DC power not AC power. You could do it, but it would probably end up costing the same if not more than a regular amp.

If you don't have pre-outs for rears on your mini system I would suggest this.

Radio Shack sells a convertor for cars which takes the speaker wire and converts them to RCA outputs( I think it is passive). Run your speakers into the unit and then run the RCA's out of it into an amp(with gain control to be able to adjust volume) and then speaker wires out to the rear speakers.

If you are worried about cost I think your best bet for an amp would be a cheap pro sound amp like Pyramid or something since they are cheper and usually have gain controls.

Once all is said and done it would just be easier to buy a new receiver and it would probably sound alot better
Old 08-23-01, 12:23 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by DeadGnat
You would need an amp-here's the problem. If your sony doesn't have preamp outs, then you'd end up hooking up the amp via an output-like a tape loop or line out, which isn't tied to the volume control, so there's no way to control the volume.
Note that the signal from the tape or line out would not be a surround sound signal it would be the main channel signal.
Old 08-23-01, 12:32 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I would spend about $200-$300 and get a new receiver. It would be the easiest solution. It would instantly improve your sound quality by a lot. It would make your system able to decode DD/DTS/DPLII.
Old 08-23-01, 12:35 PM

Thanks for the responses. Just to clarify, this is a Sony minisystem with a 3 CD changer, dual tape deck, etc. all in one unit. I use this system with my computer. The rear speakers are a little too far away and so dont have the effect that I'd like them to have. It has no pre-outs, just speaker outs.

It sounds like my best bet is to get a cheap amp. I don't really care too much about losing volume control, but thanks for pointing that out. But hooking up from speaker outs to cheap amp to speakers will get me the result I want, right??

Can someone explain what a pre-amp is used for??

Thanks

Last edited by peskoe150; 08-23-01 at 12:47 PM.
Old 08-23-01, 12:48 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by peskoe150
Can someone explain what a pre-amp is used for??

Thanks
A preamplifer switches sources (CD, tape, DVD, phono). Some sources (phono comes to mind) requires a voltage gain before being amplified. A pre-amp also handles volume control and in modern A/V Pre-amps, video switching. Some pre-amps also decode Dolby Digital, DTS, or Dolby Pro-Logic sources.
Old 08-23-01, 02:23 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

If the amp you use has no gain control there is a chance that your signal will be lower than it is now so that is why you need a gain/volume control on the amp. It could also go the oppisite way and your surrounds will be extremely loud and the fronts to soft.

I am guessing by speaker outs you mean the speaker wire going from the Sony amp directly to your speakers? You can't just connect the speaker wire from your mini system to an amp. You need to have RCA pre-outs or you need to convert the speaker wire to RCA outs(using the Radio Shack thingy I mentioned before) and then run it into an amp and then the speaker wire out of the amp to the speakers.

The converter costs about $30(I think) and an amp will probably run you about $100 for a cheap one.

Earlier I saw someone selling a Sony STR-1015 Dolby Pro-Logic Receiver for $100 on another forum so it is possible to get a decent receiver for around $100 and I think that would be a much better solution to your problem and possibly cheaper.

Good Luck