Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

Getting a receiver and speakers....Help Please

Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-01, 03:51 PM
Cool New Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am looking to get a reciever and some speakers.
I have about $300-$400 w/tax to spend on the receiver.
I thought about the Sony STR-DE945. I'm not sure though.
For speakers I was just going to get a speaker package due to lack of money. Maybe a cheap Bose system or a Sony system. Price range is the same as the reciever.
I won't be able to splurge on speakers for awile.
I was hoping to get the receiver at Sears by price mactching with an internet price.
Any advice from anybody would be great.
Thanks!
Old 08-17-01, 04:14 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

For a receiver I would recommend the Onkyo 595 or the Denon 1802 in your price range.

Avoid Sony speakers (the WM-40 sub is the only exception) if possible. Electronics companies simply do not make nice speakers. Bose is one of the worst values in all of consumer electronics. Are there any cheap Bose speaker systems? What is your speaker budget?

The problem with Sears is that IMHO they don't carry any of the audio brands that I like or can recommend.

BTW, I usually recommend you spend twice as much on a 5.1 set of speakers as you do on a receiver. If you are low on cash, start with the Onkyo 494 receiver (Online as low as $257, should be no tax) and use the extra $100-$150 to increase your speaker budget.
Old 08-17-01, 04:38 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I've seen Denon receivers at Sears on occasion, but I don't remember which models. They also have Yamaha receivers. A long time ago, I used to see the Denon 2800 at Sears, so it wouldn't surprise me if the 1802 was available also.
Old 08-17-01, 04:46 PM
Cool New Member

Sears has the DENON DHT-682XP home theatre system.
Thier cost is $699 for the reciever and speaker system.
Good Deal?
Old 08-17-01, 05:01 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

The Onkyo is a really nice receiver. Pro Logic II is a nice feature.

Goodguys CA stores also has the Denon AVR-1601AV for $279 right now. You can also call them, 1-888-937-7004, and get this price.

Last edited by nekobus; 08-21-01 at 12:49 PM.
Old 08-17-01, 06:06 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by mafioso420
Sears has the DENON DHT-682XP home theatre system.
Thier cost is $699 for the reciever and speaker system.
Good Deal?
For around $100 more you can get a MUCH better system by purchasing the receiver and speakers seperately. The reason is that the best speaker values come from companies that only make speakers. Plus they tend to put very low end products in the Home Theater in a Box packages.
Old 08-20-01, 04:45 PM
Cool New Member

I've seen a few people mention the Onkyo 494. How come?
I'm really new to this, but it seems it has a low watt level, or am I reading it wrong?
Old 08-20-01, 08:13 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Wattage is an extremely misleading stat. Within a companies line of receivers it can be useful, but otherwise it can be very confusing. For instance, check this system out (AVOID LIKE THE PLAGUE) :

http://www.bittersweetgear.com/kin1051doldi.html

It yells 1000 watts of power, but lower down you read 5 watts per channel RMS (root means squared). RMS is a much more meaningful way of measuring power than PMPO. Even within RMS you have to take into account how many Ohms, the Total Harmonic Distortion, how many channels are driven at once, at what frequency range does it provide the rated power, and the fact that most companies tend to exaggerate their wattages. A nice tube amp will provide lots of power, but only rate at 10 watts.

Bottom line, the Onkyo 494 is high quality receiver at an awesome price. It has plenty of power for most uses. (More than most 100w per channel receivers) You can pick it up and feel the weight of a nice amp. They last a long time. The sound quality for both music and home theatre is where it really shines. Note that Sony 945 is more in the price range of the Onkyo 595 which is an even better receiver. Although I wouldn't spend $400 on a receiver unless you plan on spending $750+ on a 5.1 set of speakers.

Here is great setup for not a lot of money:

Onkyo 494 (Online Price $257, Express Cameras)
Fronts: PSB Alpha A/V (Online Price $169, Soundcity)
Rears: PSB Alpha A/V (Online Price $169, Soundcity)
Center: PSB Alpha Center (Online Price $129, Soundcity)
Sub: Sony WM-40 (Online Price $139, inet shopping)

Total Price : $863
This system will blow away anything in the Bose line including $3500 systems. The PSB speakers are from a Canadian company that has been making speakers for audiophiles since 1971. Speakers are all they make. I cannot say enough good things about them. Their entire line from $169 a pair speakers to $2699 a pair speakers are incredible values.

Consider your budget and let us know what it is. Every $100 really helps improve your system a lot at this price range.
Check out this review:

http://www.psbspeakers.com/Reviewsal...l#HTReview615I know it's on the PSB website, but the review was printed in an independent magazine.
Old 08-21-01, 06:31 AM
Bru

I just made my first DD theater purchase and looked around at many stores. i kept going back to best buy and CC. they have the JVC package theater which comes with a DD/DTS reciever that punches out 100 watts rms at 8ohms with little distortion at max volume. the reciever model is a RX-6018VBK with center speaker and 4 surround speakers plus a 12" subwoofer for $399.00 and to be honest sounded much better than the yamaha sytems packages and others...... circuit city has the same system for $349.00 with a 10" sub and 100 watt speakers instead on 110 to each speaker like mine and 100 watt sub instead of 125. you wont be disappointed its got incredible sound at high volume with almost no distortion at max volume and the sub sounds great!!!!!!!! dont take hpw it sounds in the stores as they arent hooked up correctly and are in a wide open space with lots of noise. take it home and try it out. i put my sub in back of my entertainment center and sounds excellent. i think its the best bang for the buck. hope this helps.
Old 08-21-01, 09:07 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I would stay away from the DE sony's if you are looking to spend that much on a receiver. Their high THD makes the DE1075 sound just like the DE475 (which is low end). I spent about $150 on my DE575 and I assume if you want to spend 300-400 you want something that sounds better than my $150 receiver. Take skar's advice on the receiver.
Old 08-23-01, 07:19 PM
Cool New Member

The PSB speakers... Are they sold in pairs?
I went to several different sites most of them had it for around $170 to $190. But they don't say if thier a set or sold by itself.
Old 08-23-01, 08:55 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

The PSB speakers... Are they sold in pairs?
I went to several different sites most of them had it for around $170 to $190. But they don't say if thier a set or sold by itself.
Yes they are. The prices quoted by Skar are per pair.
Old 08-24-01, 10:44 AM
ngp
DVD Talk Gold Edition

SONY - YUCK!!!!

I would have to agree with one of the above posts in that you should stay away from SONY....very week receivers!

I am a Dennon fan and have the 4800 with the POA-5200 Pre-amp and have never been happier. I've recommended various models of Dennon to many friends (Just a hobby...no earning out of it) and each installation has been very well liked!

I don't know of the specific Dennons mentioned above as I typically spend a bit more on the Receivers, but if the other receivers from the company are an indication of their lower-end products, they should be fine.

The Onkyo is not bad either...for the price, you do get some good sound!
Old 08-24-01, 12:00 PM
Cool New Member

sorry guys i have a sony reciever and it is great.. i expecially love afd where it automatically detects signal and sets it self up accordingly.. the sony reciever is nice i have it cuppled with some jbl n24's for the front and the rears and the n center for the center's and a sa-wm40 sub.. it sounds great..
Old 08-24-01, 07:43 PM

Opinions. You don't have to be told. I too have a new Sony STR-DB1070 receiver that is awesome. Very high quality audio with lots of sound options. NO HISS @ any volume level.

saintsafn
Old 12-14-01, 04:15 PM
Cool New Member

I am finally getting the Onkyo 494 for Christmas. YEAH!!!!
I'm looking on getting those PSB speakers.
I went to a B&M the guy offered me this package of the following...
PSB Mini $140
PSB A/V $170
PSB Midi Center $75

Total W/Tax $413.00

Yawa has a package of...
PSP Mini
PSB A/V
PSB Center
All for $481 w/tax & s/h

What do you all recomend?
Old 12-16-01, 06:00 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by skar
Here is great setup for not a lot of money:

Onkyo 494 (Online Price $257, Express Cameras)
Fronts: PSB Alpha A/V (Online Price $169, Soundcity)
Rears: PSB Alpha A/V (Online Price $169, Soundcity)
Center: PSB Alpha Center (Online Price $129, Soundcity)
Sub: Sony WM-40 (Online Price $139, inet shopping)

Total Price : $863
That's so funny, that's my EXACT system except I have the Onkyo 595 instead of the 494. I also bought the PSB Alpha A/Vs from soundcity.com too.

Old 12-17-01, 05:32 AM
etp

6 channel

Be sure to get dolby II and 6 discrete amps/not 5.

Most of the low end stuff has 5 amps and no dolby II or something similar to fill in the rear channels. Blow all you money on a good rcvr and worry about the other stuff as you get funds. Two speakers will do for now! Build it a piece at a time.

Onkyo 797
denon 3802
yamaha 2200

all in the $650-780 range

898 is $1050

Onkyo is the best period for what you pay for. check our JR, and do a price search at yahoo shopping and price grabber/and wait untill the 25th//you will be amazed at how much you will save.
Old 12-17-01, 09:59 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

PSB Mini $140
PSB A/V $170
PSB Midi Center $75

Total W/Tax $413.00

Yawa has a package of...
PSP Mini
PSB A/V
PSB Center
All for $481 w/tax & s/h

I would recommend that you get the all A/V package(4 Alpha A/Vs with the Alpha Center)from Yawa instead. It sounds a lot better than the other two setups for only a little more money:

http://yawaonline.com/psbalav5spea.html

This setup sounds great with the Onkyo and is well worth spending a few extra dollars.

Last edited by nekobus; 12-17-01 at 10:03 AM.
Old 12-17-01, 08:18 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

PSB Mini $140
PSB A/V $170
PSB Midi Center $75

Total W/Tax $413.00

Yawa has a package of...
PSP Mini
PSB A/V
PSB Center
All for $481 w/tax & s/h

I recommend the PSB Alpha Center over the Midi Center. But I also like to support the local B&M if they price competively. Call the B&M and ask if they carry the Alpha Center. If not you could buy 4 speakers from him and order the center channel online. Either way you will have a great setup.
Old 12-18-01, 06:00 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by skar

I recommend the PSB Alpha Center over the Midi Center. But I also like to support the local B&M if they price competively. Call the B&M and ask if they carry the Alpha Center. If not you could buy 4 speakers from him and order the center channel online. Either way you will have a great setup.
I agree...you don't want the center channel to be overpowered by the satellites.
Old 12-26-01, 12:26 PM
Cool New Member

Anybody have a good place to get the center channel for less than $130?
Old 12-26-01, 12:52 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Hi, Im also looking at purchasing a home theater system with my "Christmas money." I have $230, so right now its a matter of how much I want to add on to that. I have been looking at purchasing the receiver and the speakers all together (rather than individually) since I am on a limited budget (I am also a college student, so I dont want to go TOO far past my Christmas funding). Best Buy has an Aiwa system for $250 usually, but Ive always thought of Aiwa as a "midcard" as far as quality electronics. I personally like Pioneer, but I havent seen anything of theirs under $400...is it worth upping the ante? I also have looked at a Sony system that is a little over $300 online. I cant remember the model #s of any of these right now though. My main question though is will the receiver and speakers packages give me good quality DTS sound or should I save up some more money and purchase a receiver and then individual speakers? My current system is merely an RCA DVD player (2 years old) along with a receiver and 2 speakers (glorious 2.0), so even mid-quality DTS and DD would be a GREAT improvement. I also live in an apartment, so watching a DVD with the volume loud as h*ll would not be good :-). Please give me some ideas...thanks!
Old 12-26-01, 03:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Anybody have a good place to get the center channel for less than $130?
http://www.soundcity.com/bin/product.php?product_id=418

$129
Old 12-30-01, 02:18 AM
Cool New Member

I just wanted to say thank you to everyone and their wonderful advice. It made my purchase a lot easier.
I went ahead and got the Onkyo 494. On Monday I'm picking up my PSB speaker package. I went with the 2 A/V's & 2 Mini's w/Center. Most likely I'll pick up my Sub this Spring.

One other question that I have...

Where is the best place to get speaker cables?

I checked out Radio Shack the other day. If their product is good, I'll most likely go with them, espicially on the price issue.
Any input on this would be great.
Thanks Again

Last edited by mafioso420; 12-30-01 at 10:15 PM.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.