Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

Video Essentials question

Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-01, 06:40 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just ran the audio portion and when it went through the white noise phase of the test, no sound came out of my sub-woofer. At no point during the test did any sound ever come out of my Sub. Is this normal? It seems to work fine during movies and music.

BTW, the disc is not bad for 15 - bucks, I would feel a little bad if i spent full price for it.

In a way it seems that I spent the money just to find out that I should turn the sharpness down on my TV.
Old 08-14-01, 10:29 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
You should be getting sound out of the sub when it shows the subs on the screen lighting up. But if it works during movies that's all that counts. Get yourself the sound meter, much better than doing it by ear. It is very important to turn the sharpness and the contrast down, turned up too high can shorten the life of a RPTV. It's money well spent.
Old 08-14-01, 11:19 AM
Cool New Member

How do you have the sub connected. RCA or Speaker connections?

I have mine hooked up via front speaker connections with the front speakers hooked up to the sub. I get no sound out of the sub during audio phase of the Video Essentials DVD but I get plenty of good tight bass during movies or music.

I have the sub turned off on the reciever which mixes the LFE channel and sends it to the two front speakers, providing they are set to large. If you have this configuration you will not get any sound out of the sub during the previously mentioned test.

I know some will say you lose something setting it up that way but from what I have read and tried over the past week I don't think you loss anything. Mixing the LFE channel should not effect anything since the Low Bass is Omnidirectional. Plus at least I can adjust the crossover on the sub, the reciever just has set points, 100, 200.

Long winded answer just to say if you are connected via speaker wires you most likely will not get any sound out of the subs. I believe the reason is the white noise for the sub is sent to the subwoofer output (RCA Jack) on the reciever.

If the above does not apply maybe you are getting sound, but it is too low for you to hear.
Old 08-14-01, 01:04 PM

My Front speakers are also hooked up to the sub via speaker cable. so, i guess it's normal then. Thanks for the response.