Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

Time Warner Digital 2.0 or 5.1?

Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-01, 03:43 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just need to verify this.

I have my digital cable box setup using the coax digital output to my receiver.

BUT:

The DD signal lights on my receiver, but so does the Pro Logic decoding signal.

So this means the signal is DD 2.0 coming from the box correct and it is playing in DPL instead of DD 5.1 which is what I want.

Am I being shafted or is this the only signal I can get through Time Warner?

Are the Pay-Per-View movies in DD 5.1?

I tried asking the CSR, but she was a moron

Thanks!
Old 08-11-01, 07:55 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Most of the digital channels are 2-channel surround, including the pay-per-views. Showtime, Starz and HBO show movies and some tv shows in 5.1.
Old 08-11-01, 08:43 AM

I had the EXACT same results when I tried it (including the moronic CS rep), so I just disconnected it the digital cable. I recently heard that a few of the movies (think it started with the premiere of Perfect Storm) are now being broadcast in 5.1. I'll have to hook it back up and see. Probably, you'll need to as well.

Point is, just because you get 2.0 DD on most channels doesn't necessarily mean you get it on all. Some may be 5.1.
Old 08-11-01, 11:49 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Now that I think about it when it was being hooked up the installer told me that the digital signal from the box "matrixes" the surround channels.

I guess this was his way of telling me that it will essentially only output a 2.0 signal, but he didn't realize that is basically DPL. I really didn't think about it until I hooked it all up myself since I wasn't about to let him touch my gear.

Another compaint I have is I have to have both the analog and digital connected since channels 2-63 aren't digital no sound is output through the digital output for those channels. I guess that is to be expected, but it just makes the install that much more complicated and adds to the rats nest of wires I have in the back.

Oh well enough complaining for now. It doesn't sound too bad and I can live with it for now. Thanks for the help

I have one final ?

Is there any way to tell if a Pay-Per-View is in DD 5.1?

I would hate to pay $4 for one when I could get my lazy ass up and go to the store and rent it in 5.1 for $2.
Old 08-31-01, 06:24 PM

Well I finally rewired my HT setup last night and now have a digital connection from my Explorer 2000 digital cable box to my Yamaha. By the time I was finished, though, Perfect Storm (HBO, one movie known to be 5.1) was over and everything on all 12 HBO channels was "Pro Logic". Then later I was surfing through them again and What Lies Beneath triggered my receiver into its Dolby Digital mode--WOOHOO!

Thanks to whoever started this thread. I now have (part-time) DD from multiple sources!
Old 08-31-01, 08:31 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

my sony receiver puts little icons on the display for each speaker that gets a signal. I have rented some movies that were DD2.0 and some that were 4.0 (front, center, right, mono rears and no lfe just crossover for the sub) so just b/c your DD lights up doesn't mean you are getting 5.1 just a DD signal
Old 08-31-01, 08:44 PM

Received 99 Likes on 82 Posts
I've noticed that some movies on the premium channels (i.e. HBO, Showtime, etc...) broadcast in 5.1. I was watching Gladiator the other night on HBO with 5.1 surround. Not as good as the DVD, but nice...