Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

copying videos onto DVD?

Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

copying videos onto DVD?

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-01, 08:41 PM
Cool New Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
copying videos onto DVD?

Tried a search and couldn't find anything. I realize this is a strange question but with these new DVD burners (like that new Mac people were talking about a few months ago) is there anyway to put videos onto DVD. I was watching a video a few days ago originally taped off of TV in 1979 (an old Tom Snyder show...I recorded it for the guest not because I'm a Tom Snyder fan or anything) and the wear is beginning to show. I wanted to put it on DVD or something so I wouldn't lose it forever. Is that possible? Are there businesses that do that? And while I'm at it is it possible to contact CBS or something and try to buy a tape of that Tom Snyder epiosde? Any answers would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
Old 08-10-01, 08:13 AM

I don't think you can get it into DVD format (digital vs analog). What you need is a video capture card to save it to hard disk. From there you should be able to burn what's called a "video CD". Not sure what exact format is needed (MPEG2?). Then just simply burn a regular CD in a CDR or CDRW drive with this MPEG file. Most DVD players can play video CD's these days.
Old 08-10-01, 10:44 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

You could run it through a DAC and then burn it onto a DVD if you have the right setup. I have taken some family home movies from tape, run them through a Formac DAC, created menus and chapters and burned them onto a DVD using DVD Studio Pro and a G4 Mac equipped with a Superdrive.

As a cheaper alternative, you could create a VCD, as mentioned above. I use Toast 5 and have had no problems.
Old 08-13-01, 03:30 AM

I might be wrong, but isn't it true that DVD-R's cannot be played on any DVD player? The only thing that can read a DVD-R is a DVD-R drive...
Old 08-13-01, 05:13 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by jingoro
I might be wrong, but isn't it true that DVD-R's cannot be played on any DVD player? The only thing that can read a DVD-R is a DVD-R drive...
Many newer model DVD players will play DVD-R. I play mine in a Pioneer all the time.

You might be thinking of DVD-RAM, which is a whole different animal.
Old 08-13-01, 05:21 AM

More like a creature...sounds like another format war brewing...
Old 08-15-01, 01:12 AM

Originally posted by nekobus

Many newer model DVD players will play DVD-R. I play mine in a Pioneer all the time.

You might be thinking of DVD-RAM, which is a whole different animal.
Wait... so what's the difference between DVD-R, and DVD-RAM? I've never heard of DVD-RAM before...
Old 08-15-01, 01:36 AM
AOD

If you are interested in making a VCD out of a DVD, you can go to

www.vcdhelp.com

You are going to need: SmartRipper 2.25, DVD2AVI 1.76, and TMPGEnc 12e (and of course a DVD-ROM to "rip" the DVD and CD-R player to "record" on to a cd-r)
You can download these programs for free at the website listed above. Hope this helps.
Old 08-15-01, 07:17 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by jingoro

Wait... so what's the difference between DVD-R, and DVD-RAM? I've never heard of DVD-RAM before...
From the DVD FAQ:

There are six recordable versions of DVD-ROM: DVD-R for General, DVD-R for Authoring, DVD-RAM, DVD-RW, DVD+RW, and DVD+R. All recordable drives can read DVD-ROM discs, but each uses a different type of disc for recording. DVD-R and DVD+R can record data once (sequentially only), while DVD-RAM, DVD-RW, and DVD+RW can be rewritten thousands of times. DVD-R was first available in fall 1997. DVD-RAM followed in summer 1998. DVD-RW came out in Japan in December 1999, but won't be available elsewhere until mid or late 2001. DVD+RW will be available in late 2001 or early 2002. DVD+R will be available in mid 2002.

Recordable DVD was first available for use on computers only (see 1.14). Home DVD video recorders began to be released worldwide near the end of 2000. Note that DVD video recorders can't copy encrypted DVD movie discs.

DVD-RAM is more of a removable storage device for computers than a video recording format. The other two erasable format families (DVD-R/RW and DVD+R/RW) are essentially in competition with each other. The market will determine which of them succeeds, or if they end up coexisting or merging.

A big problem is that none of the writable formats are fully compatible with each other or even with existing drives and players. As time goes by they will become more compatible and more intermixed. For example, home video recorders from Pioneer combine DVD-RW and DVD-R, while DVD-R/RW drives from Pioneer can also write to CD-R and CD-RW discs. New DVD-RAM drives also write to DVD-R discs as well as CD-R/RW. Toshiba, Panasonic, and others released combination DVD-ROM/CD-RW drives near the end of 1999. There are lists at DVDMadeEasy, YesVideo.com, HomeMovie.com, and Apple that indicate player compatibility with DVD-R discs. (Note: test results vary depending on media quality, handling, writing conditions, player tolerances, and so on. The indications of compatibility in these lists are often anecdotal in nature and are only general guidelines.)

A summary of recordable DVD compatibility:

DVD unit DVD-R(G) unit DVD-R(A) unit DVD-RW unit DVD-RAM unit DVD+RW unit
DVD-ROM disc reads reads reads reads reads reads
DVD-R(G) disc usually reads reads, writes reads, doesn't write reads, usually writes reads reads
DVD-R(A) disc usually reads reads, doesn't write reads, writes reads, doesn't write reads reads
DVD-RW disc usually reads reads reads reads, writes usually reads usually reads
DVD-RAM disc rarely reads doesn't read doesn't read doesn't read reads, writes doesn't read
DVD+RW disc usually reads usually reads usually reads usually reads usually reads reads, writes
DVD+R disc usually reads usually reads usually reads usually reads usually reads reads, writes
Old 08-15-01, 07:19 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

BTW, sorry about the blank space in the above post. It doesn't show up when I try and edit the post, so I don't have a clue how to get rid of it.

My comments on Recordable DVD:

I'm waiting for companies and the market to make some sense of this mess. The politics behind all of this will make your head spin.

DVD-RAM and DVD-RW are endorsed by the DVD forum. The DVD forum is a group of 220 companies. The DVD forum has no power to set the standards though. And the other four formats were developed by forum member companies. They just couldn't get enough votes to become endorsed.

DVD+RW and DVD+R is supported by some powerful players like Sony, Philips, Hewlett-Packard, Ricoh, and Yamaha. DVD+RW drives read DVD-ROMs and CDs, and usually read DVD-Rs and DVD-RWs, but do not read or write DVD-RAM discs.

Now that I've confused everyone including myself I'm going to stop posting.

Bottom Line : Wait

Last edited by skar; 08-15-01 at 07:41 AM.
Old 08-15-01, 10:27 AM

actually there is a company in manila, phil. who is offering to transfer wedding video tapes to dvd's heres some details to their service:

The name of the company that offers this service is Glisaz Audio & Video Corp. Their address is 113B 13th Avenue, Murphy, Cubao, QC. You may email them at [email protected]. Yong/Rodel is the owner.

Specification of our DVD Service:

1. Video must be 59mins or less
2. The submitted material should be in digital format (digital8 or MiniDV) to get the best result. Betacam, Umatic and VHS is also acceptable.(but not as clear as the DV formats).
3. Finished product 3 days after submission of the material
4. We're using sticker for the CD label.
5. Any special graphics for the menu/sticker should be given to us prior to work. We can also make the art work for the sticker.
6. Finished product will run in almost all DVD bought after 1999. (Philips DVD Player is not compatible at the moment.)
7. Our price is cheaper than the one's offered in the USA. We only charge $100/hour while in the USA, they charge a $180/hour .
8. We can do scheduled delivery/ pickup at the ff areas:
Quezon City, Manila, Makati, Mandaluyong, San Juan Areas.
or Bring the Master edited tape at our office.
9. Special features such as angles, subtitles, language, voice, are optional (subject to programming charges)
Old 08-15-01, 12:17 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

RIPOFF ALERT!

It also sounds like these guys are really making VCDs and not real DVDs. Their 59 minute time limitation and the description of playback "on almost all DVD(sic)bought after 1999" are suspect.

Only $100 an hour after you have done all the work for them by converting your tapes to a digital format! Since you've already done most of the work, you might as well finish the job yourself by making your own disc. It would be a heck of a lot cheaper.
Old 08-21-01, 07:08 AM
Bru

make your own vcd. as posted read www.vcdhelp.com although the sound is limited the picture isnt to bad and for 10 cents who cares the computer is doing all the work. also use nero burning rom to burn them.
Old 08-21-01, 12:56 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

www.vcdhelp.com is a great resource. If you are using a Mac, get Toast 5 and you can easily make VCDs.
Old 08-24-01, 01:44 PM
Cool New Member

you can make VCD and SVCD,super video cd easely yourself. If you have an PC with tv capture card with combined or svhs input, you can capture the video in avi. then convert it to mpeg1 VCD 352x240 or 352x288(europe 25f/s). or mpeg2 SVCD 480x480 or 480x576(europe 25f/s).This will take approx 8 hours(P3/750MHz) for 1 hour video, depending on cpu power Burn it on a standard cd-r (nero). and your ready! And my philips player DVD701 europe (region free of course). will play absolutly everything cd, cdr, cdrw, (s)vcd(NTSC)and (s)vcd(PAL),DVD (all regions), DVD+R, DVD+RW:-)

Last edited by vwmaniac; 08-24-01 at 01:49 PM.
Old 08-25-01, 01:22 PM

You might want to check out www.lifeclips.com They will create a dvd up to 2 hours from your tape for 29.99 . I'm getting 2hours worth of home movies together onto one tape to send them. They even put menus and chapters in for you.