Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

Why Layer Change Pause?

DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Why Layer Change Pause?

Old 08-02-01, 05:14 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Why Layer Change Pause?

I don't understand why DVD players still have to pause for the layer change... Why can't they just buffer a couple seconds of a/v (like an anti-shock CD player, for example), and then go right through the layer change without a pause? This seems pretty simple, pretty obvious, and pretty desirable, but does anyone know why they haven't done this yet?
Old 08-02-01, 05:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Not sure why, but I know a couple newer players definately show almost no change.
Old 08-02-01, 06:44 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I guess is that became a DVD player is pulling a lot more data per second off the disc than a CD player, it is more costly/ more tricky to do what you suggest. Plus the skipping of CD players was a widespread problem, but few people mention or notice the layer change. I notice it, but I don't mind one stutter every two hours. And it gives me something geeky to mention when I watch a DVD with friends.
Old 08-02-01, 08:31 PM
Banned

Gona need a pretty big buffer memory, at least 60 mb
Old 08-03-01, 07:08 AM

The Denon 2800 has 4MB to buffer and shows practically no pause.
Old 08-03-01, 08:19 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I have yet to notice a pause on my Toshiba SD-1200.
Old 08-03-01, 09:42 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Funny how I never noticed it until I learned about them. Still, a slight pause is great compared to having to flip the disc. If someone asks me "What was that?" I keep it simple and explain that it's switching sides of the disc.
Old 08-03-01, 03:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I think all of Denon's current line of DVD players have the buffer. I know their entry-level DVD-1000 has it for sure.

Keep in mind, DVD players have only been around for four years, and dual-layered discs didn't even exist at first. LIVE's first release of "Terminator 2" was the first RSDL disc. Up until then, there was no reason for manufacturers to even contemplate adding a buffer.

This also came about at the same time that manufacturers were trying to lower the price of their players to improve sales. The beffers would have added quite a bit of expense when the trend was going in the opposite direction.

I think over the next couple of years, memory buffer will become much more commonplace.
Old 08-10-01, 08:06 PM
Banned

I think some DVDs do a good job of hiding the pause in scene changes. The ones I really notice happen in the middle of a scene.