Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

need help with dvds on ps2!

DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Old 07-26-01, 06:48 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey guys....i'm letting my cousin borrow my dvd player right now...he wants to decide if he wants to buy one....so im stuck watching dvd's on ps2...the only problem is i cant get surround sound on it....but my reciever has a built in dolby and dts decoder...and surround always worked for my dvd player...can anyone help me so i can see how to set this up...beacuse its a real bummber not being able to have surround sound for my movies...thanks guys...oh and by the way i have a sony str-de945 reciever...when i try to change input for it on the reciever it says analog only....i have the my ps2 hooked up with the red white and yellow cables...and an optical cable...i kinda hit a bump in the road..i got the right cable and everything but it still doesnt seem to work...i have 3 optical inputs and 1 output on my reciever...1 says md in, 1 says md out, 1 says tv in, 1 says dvd in....then i also have a coaxial in too...i tried it both in the tv one and the dvd one and it still doesnt work....ive had my dvd player in the dvd one..is it better to use coxail for that?....does anyone have any idea why this wont work...i turned on the optical out on in the ps2 menu..and i can see the light is running through the cable so i dont get it....this is really gettting to be a pain in the butt...so does anyone have an idea of what i should do?
Old 07-27-01, 01:43 AM

I'm not all that familiar with the de945, but if it's like the db940, change the input from analog direct to auto format decode. It should then use the input from the optical cable instead of the red and white RCA plugs.
Old 07-28-01, 03:31 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Also for a PS2 to play DD 5.1 or DTS sound you have to enable it while the movie is playing **even if you did it in the Menu where all the floating cubes are**. Just play any DVD movie and after its started playing hit the SELECT button on the controller, move to the "Audio Settings" or "Setup" button (can't remember which one) and you will see the options

Dolby Digital 5.1 OFF/ON
DTS OFF/ON

just turn'em on. I hope this helps, I've also been forced to use my PS2 as I'm saving for a 16:9 TV and a Progressive-scan player but its ok for me for the time being, sound is excellent once everything is working.
Old 07-28-01, 06:54 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Outlaw is definitely correct. I had the digital sound turned on at the main PS2 menu and couldn't get any 5.1 sound from the movies. I had to pause or stop the movie and bring up the dvd player menu, and turn on the digital sound there. Since I have 2 dvd players (progressive for my HDTV), I haven't had to use it to watch a movie, but Fleetwood Mac's Rumours won't play on my progressive Toshiba player, so I had to use the PS2 to listen to the 5.1. The picture quality of the PS2 isn't real good, but the sound isn't bad at all.