Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

What do I do with my Pro Logic Receiver?

Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-01, 04:28 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Other than boat anchor, what do I do with it? I have a Sony STR-D715 Dolby Pro Logic Receiver. Of course I need DIGITAL, so I'll soon be upgrading to either a Denon, Outlaw or Pioneer Elite receiver.

My question, is there any use for the old Pro Logic in a Home Theater or Whole House audio setup. I already own a KUSTOM multizone amplifier for the whole house. I thought about using the Line In Tape on the Pro Logic and use it as an amp, but what other creative uses is everyone putting their old equipment to use as? I doubt anyone on E-bay would pay much for this equipment, although it is in prestine condition.

Last edited by robertmee; 07-24-01 at 04:41 PM.
Old 07-24-01, 04:35 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Use to power a couple of Aura Bass Shaker (tactile tranducers) and bring your Home Theater alive !!
Old 07-24-01, 04:40 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Pass it along to a poor relative and start them down the path to HT ruin
Old 07-24-01, 04:42 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by nekobus
Pass it along to a poor relative and start them down the path to HT ruin
I think one sicko in the family is enough
Old 07-24-01, 08:08 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

whenever I've retired a main receiver, I've typically moved it into the bedroom to replace an even older one in there.
Old 07-24-01, 09:29 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

sell it on ebay, put in the gameroom/garage, donate it to a thrift store, break it.
Old 07-24-01, 10:32 PM

I have an an old Yamaha receiver for my computer (MP3)
listening.

Works out pretty well. This way, I don't have to use those lame
plastic computer speakers, and can use real speakers
(PSB Alpha) to reliably check newly-downloaded MP3s for errors,
and also just plain listen to 'em.
Old 07-24-01, 11:32 PM
DVD Talk Hero

There have been some good suggestions, here are mine

*Donate to a local church, abuse home, retirement home, local fundraising auction, etc. (remember to write it off for taxes)

*Set up in the garage with some cheap speakers to help inspire cleaning it Those cheap radioshack speakers might have a use after all.

*Give it to a relative. My parents have my Kenwood 5.1, soon to be used as a starter HT system. (Return benefit: When visiting you can bring DVD's )

I would look hard for a local organization or non-profit group, they ALWAYS can use stuff. From running a 503c non-profit last year, that would have been AWESOME to get one, for functional use, or to auction off for funding.

-pedaogue
Old 07-25-01, 07:39 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Another vote for passing it on to a friend or relative. My wife's family does that with everything, and it actually works out pretty good. What's old and useless to you may be new and exciting to someone else who's admired it or been interested in HT setup. Or, maybe they just want a stereo in their garage or computer room

They pass everything from cars to furniture around, and while at first I thought it was kind of odd to take everyone's used crap, it actually works out pretty well.
Old 07-25-01, 09:28 AM

Someone posted a neat idea about using a receiver such as yours, in conjunction with a new (5.1) one, and feed it the left and right surround channels to the front inputs. Set in pro-logic mode, the resulting center channel would be the new center surround channel that makes up the 6.1 surround format.

Worth a shot if you have extra time on your hands...
Old 07-25-01, 09:30 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I use my old Denon Pro Logic for my game systems in the spare bedroom. I would love to keep my PS2 in the front room hooked up to my main system but that doesn't go over to well with the wifey!
Old 07-25-01, 02:18 PM

MichaelBlanton wrote:
Someone posted a neat idea about using a receiver such as yours, in conjunction with a new (5.1) one, and feed it the left and right surround channels to the front inputs. Set in pro-logic mode, the resulting center channel would be the new center surround channel that makes up the 6.1 surround format.
Does anyone have any information or know where I can obtain such information on how to do this? It seems pretty self-explanatory, but yes I am a complete moron when it comes to this stuff. I just want to make sure I do it properly. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Old 07-25-01, 02:52 PM

Originally posted by El Gordo
MichaelBlanton wrote:

Does anyone have any information or know where I can obtain such information on how to do this? It seems pretty self-explanatory, but yes I am a complete moron when it comes to this stuff. I just want to make sure I do it properly. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
First: Make sure your regular Digital receiver has 5.1 pre-outs. Look on the back for 6 RCA plugs labeled SW, C, L/R, Rear L/R. You will need to run regular RCA audio cables from the Rear L/R outputs to an unused input on the pro-logic receiver. For this test we'll say the CD input.

Once you do that, unhook the rear speakers from the digital receiver. Hook the Left rear speaker up to the right front speaker terminal of the pro-logic receiver. Hook the Right rear speaker up to the left front speaker terminal of the DPL receiver. Get an extra speaker(hopefully similar to the other two) and hook it up to the center speaker terminal of the DPL receiver. Set it to Dolby 3 Stereo mode or pro-logic if it doesn't have Dolby 3 Stereo.

Any information in the rear channels of 5.1 material that's similar will be played by the center rear speaker. Just like common material in Dolby Surround comes through the center speaker in DPL.

Getting the volumes to match is a very difficult task. The best way to do it is to set the DPL receiver to regular stereo and use the test tones of Avia or Video Essentials. If you don't have any of these test discs you might try a THX optimode feature from a newer THX DVD. Otherwise, try the internal test tones of the digital receiver. You'll have to use the volume of the DPL receiver to get the levels close. It would greatly help to have a SPL meter.

It's much easier to keep the simple 5.1 as you won't have to worry about differing surround levels. The 5.1 material that is encoded with EX/ES will make a pretty decent "phantom rear center". Especially with good speakers and placement.
Old 07-25-01, 03:28 PM

William Ward,

Thank you so very much for your quick and extremely informative reply. It is exactly what I needed (you've made it very idiot-proof ).

It's time to do some experimenting.

Thanks again.
Old 07-25-01, 05:51 PM

Dolby prologic reciever how much $$$ ?

Hey!!

How much you want for it and can you ship it to Toronto, Ontario?

email me!

[email protected]

Home Theater pics coming soon!
Old 07-26-01, 07:35 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Thanks to everyone for the great suggestions...I might just give the 6.1 a shot. The bass shakers are interesting too. If these don't work, then D113, I'll let you know
Old 07-27-01, 12:16 AM

I'm running an old JVC audio, yes audio only receiver in my bedroom. I remember back when I got it the whole idea of audio integrated with video in a receiver was still unheard of to me. (Don't laugh. I was 13)

I'm thinking about getting one of those 4 channel S-video, RCA Audio Video switches for my bedroom. Gonna make that old JVC system hi-tech! WooHoo!!
Old 07-27-01, 08:55 PM

Sale it to George Lucas, I hear that he maybe upgrading from his 8 Track player to cassette, now that he thinks cassette's are here to stay.

Just Joking