Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

Help - Dvd Player Problem

DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Old 07-18-01, 04:05 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was hoping someone out there could help. I don't know if this is a common problem or not or even if I'm on the right Board, so forgive me any transgressions.

For the last six months or so I have been having trouble with my dvd player, whereas when inserting some dvds (I say some, because most are okay) it will say "NO PLAY" and sometimes after 10 tries or so, it will work but other times it doesn't and I've had to return the dvd.

The guy at Blockbuster said it might hve something to do with "dual layer" something or other but knowing nothing about this stuff, it's all pig latin to me.

I've taken the dvd player to the store I bought it because it was under extended warranty and they cleaned it and "aligned" it. It happens more than ever now.

Does anyone have any suggestions? I would appreciate any feedback, especially if this has happened to anyone else. Thanks.
Old 07-18-01, 04:18 PM

What DVD player do you have?
Old 07-18-01, 04:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
If the unit was "cleaned and aligned" and it is now worse, I would take it back to them.

Second, never ask the guy at Blockbuster anything.

Third, and most likely it is possible the the laser pickup is failing.

Are you renting and playing alot of dirty fingerprinted DVD's from Blockbuster?
Old 07-18-01, 04:51 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Is this an older player?

Like the above poster said, check the dvd's from smugdes or dirt.
You can wash DVD's with water and very little soap. Just use a very soft coth and make sure you dry it well.

If there is nothing wrong with the DVD's, it may be time to get a new player.

Good luck
Old 07-18-01, 06:20 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by Brian Shannon
If the unit was "cleaned and aligned" and it is now worse, I would take it back to them.
I would recommend this same thing. If the "repair" made it worse, they should take some responsibility for it

My brother's player was starting to do the same thing and he bought one of those lens cleaner discs and used it, now everything is fine.
Old 07-19-01, 11:00 AM

HELP

Replying to your post, the player is a Panasonic and at the time I bought it, it was the top 3 in Consumer Reports. It is 16 months old.

And yes, most of the dvds I've had trouble with are rentals but "NEW" ones, meaning the day it comes out. However, I've had a few brand new ones I've bought give me this trouble, most recently this week Meet Joe Black.

I will take it back to the store and have them look at it again and get a lens cleaner. Maybe Brian Shannon has the right idea about that laser pickup. I don't know a thing about it but it make sense to me.

: )