Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

HDTV vs Projectors

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-01, 01:06 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
HDTV vs Projectors

Why would anyone ever buy 400 pound, $2000 dollar HDTV when you could get a refurbished or even new projector for around the same cost. Now besides the obvious:

distance between projector and screen
need for a white screen
must have darkness to watch

but other than that it seems to me that this is the best way to go as far as home theater systems

anyone??
Old 07-18-01, 01:27 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

1. Noise
2. Installation
3. You need a screen(they are not cheap)
4. For $2000 refurbed I doubt you will get one that does HDTV or accepts prgressive signal.
5. You need external equipmet for video processing(e.g. line doubler)

After buying a screen, the external gear you must have and the cost to install and build something to reduce the fan noise you have gone way over the cost of a high-end 65" HDTV.
Old 07-18-01, 01:36 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

My main reason:

I rent a duplex so ripping the ceiling apart to run cables and anchoring a projector to the ceiling is sort of out of the question.

Also I am not leaving it there when I move out so filling the holes back up would be a pain in the ass!
Old 07-18-01, 01:38 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Simple. The projectors just are not that great for TV and Movies. Ive worked with $20,000 LCD projectors and I was not impressed with them at all.
Old 07-18-01, 07:47 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'll be probably me moving next year and mainly take my dvds/player and computer. So my fist tv purchace was the 40h80. Cheap enough for me to buy and not that big to carry if I have to be in a thrid floor appartment.
My plan was to buy the 40h80 now(which was the begining of summer) to enjoy my dvds. Then when I get my degree and hopefully a good paying job, I'll then go and get a front projector. Maybe I should buy a car first.