Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Progressive scan

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-01, 02:28 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Progressive scan

Hi. Please accept this question as one from a non-techie, with a decent basic understanding of DVD Technology!

I have a Toshiba 2107 player, about 4 years old (I think), and am playing it through my recently purchased Mitsubishi 65" WS TV. For the most part, the picture is spectacular, but ocassionally, I encounter a situation where certain types of patterns in the picture are "noisy" or "jittery"( Can't find the right words) - let's say like when someone wheres stripes or checkers, or some type of large pattern comes across the screen, it is annoyingly obvious that there is a problem there. Please understand, this is not a constant problem. It was bugging the heck out of me watching certain episodes of the Sopranos, from the season 1 box set, and these are supposely anamorphically enhanced. The TV itself has a built in "line doubler". Now here comes my potentially stupid question...... Would my upgrading to a progressive scan DVD player solve this problem?

Thanks in advance for your help!!!!

Alex
Old 07-16-01, 02:49 PM

Assuming I could turn it off (I am not at home now, so I don't know for sure) - wouldn't that affect the already superior quality of the overall picture? Remember, I am only talking about isolated incidents depending on certain backgrounds or other images where it seems that there needs to be greater density in the pixels in order to correct it.

I guess a second question is whether progressive scan is just another type of line doubler, and if the TV already has one built in, does the interaction of a progressive scan player over-ride that or enhance it even more? ( did that question make any sense?!?)
Old 07-16-01, 02:59 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

This is a problem you can't fix. It is just something that happens when these types of patterns appear on the screen(striped shirts as an example).

Also a progressive scan player is not just a line doubler. A line doubler is just one part of it. The interaction of the two line doublers is inconsiquential. Besides the line doubler in the Mits. is not very good, I have the same model.
Old 07-16-01, 03:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
Some questions first.

Will your TV accept a progressive signal? Does ithave the red/green/blue inputs on the back?

The problem you describe is moireing(sp?). It is noticeable on different sets and different players. It can be a problem with set calibration or dvd transfer or both.

A progressive scan player might alleviate the problem but might introduce other issues such as the chroma upsampling bug of certain mpeg decoder chips.

No definite answer here, sorry.
Old 07-16-01, 03:20 PM

Hey Brian,

As for compatability, The TV is fully compatible and also HD ready. All the bells and whistles.

I have never had the set professionally calibrated. Only according to what the TV specs call for.

The thing that has me wondering more than anything else is the fact that as I've eluded to in my earlier posts, most discs are beyond impressive. It's just this one issue that comes up, and I can't say it is with every disc either. That is why I am trying to get a clear answer on the progressive scan issue. Of course, now you've really thrown me for a loop with these other potential bugs you mention!!

Anybody have anything else they can kick in with?

Thanks!
Old 07-16-01, 03:31 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I have the same T.V as you and I have a progressive scan player. My T.V is fully calibrated by an ISF. There is nothing(that I know of) you can do about the problem you are having. Like I said it's just something that happens. Some discs are worse than others.

I do however suggest you go to a progressive DVD player just for thee improment in picture quality.
Old 07-16-01, 03:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
Sorry to further confuse the issue.

I have seen the problem you have described numerous times.

One of the best test scenes for this for a long time was in Twister. Check the checkerboard jacket that Bill Paxton is wearing at the beginning.

Another is in Braveheart. Check the beginning, chapter 3 I believe and look at the burlap cloth, stone walls and tartans.

Another similar problem is in True Lies. Check the bathroom scene where Arnold takes out a bad guy. As the guy is being shot and is moving his body is actually blurry as he moves from side to side. I am told this is an artifacting bug from a poor film transfer.

It is also possible that they newer TV is showing the limits of the older DVD player. Four years in DVD terms is about 6 generations of players.

If you have a friend nearby maybe try hooking up a different player and doing an A/B test noting scene and frame times to see if it is the player.