Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

iglasses how good?

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-01, 01:15 AM
Cool New Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
iglasses how good?

I've seen advertising for iglasses, the theater in glasses, on various websites. I've seen Sony's Glasstron at my local LaserLand. But I have never seen a demo of either product. Has anyone actually experienced either? How good or bad are they? Is it worth the investment?
Old 07-12-01, 01:23 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I didn't think the Glasstrons were all that great but I heard you have to use them for a while to kind of train your eyes. They may be nice for like a car/plane ride but you look like a dork wearing them.
Old 07-12-01, 05:36 AM
Banned

I bought and used sony's Glasstrons for a while.
Now every single piece of equipment at my home, and there is lots of it, is by Sony, I love Sony, but these Glasstrons are terrible. Even though you get the "illusion of viewing a 52 inch screen" it's still terribly small and pixelated, resolution is pretty bad since there are not that many pixels themselves that make up the screen. Plus it's very close to your eyeballs and if your brain reacts to sudden bright lights (i think most do negatively) then you can't really watch much or extensively.
It gave me a headache, my eyes hurt and veins in them popped i looked like i smoked a box of weed literally, and it felt like I haven't slept in 4 days. Very bad, for me personally they didn't work. I got them for 380, used for 3 months only a few times, and then sold on eBay for 340 making most of my money back so it's okay. I wouldn't recommend.
Just get sony's virtual DTS/DD5.1 headphones if you need to watch something without distubring someone, they are awesome.
Old 07-25-01, 05:28 PM
colossus

This eye-fatigue is because of the refresh/rate on this "TV". The signal is (bear with me, I might be wrong on this) 60Hz interlaced.

Each eye gets 30Hz of it. The eye, not pleased with this, will start to feel very hot and then the 'sand in your eyes' feeling comes. Like you stared at somebody arc welding. Your brain will show it's displeasure by causing a headache. You might get queasy too.

I might be out on left field on this, but there were some older PC games that supported 3-d glasses (Heretic and Doom come to mind). This stuff is a must-pass.