DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Buying A High Defination Widescreen TV

Old 07-11-01, 03:03 PM
Cool New Member

Buying A High Defination Widescreen TV

I'm looking at the Toshiba 40h80 widescreen tv that I want to purchase. Today I went to The HomeTheater Store to see the Toshiba and the salesperson said that he they are not reliable and it has many problems with it, then he showed me the 46 inch Mitsubishi Widescreen. I want to know if the Toshiba 40h80 does not have any problems and if its reliable?
Old 07-11-01, 03:10 PM

Re: Buying A High Defination Widescreen TV

Originally posted by Kage
I'm looking at the Toshiba 40h80 widescreen tv that I want to purchase. Today I went to The HomeTheater Store to see the Toshiba and the salesperson said that he they are not reliable and it has many problems with it, then he showed me the 46 inch Mitsubishi Widescreen. I want to know if the Toshiba 40h80 does not have any problems and if its reliable?
That's news to me...

Wait...let me guess... He works on commission, and the 46 inch Mitsubishi costs a decent amount more... Am I right?

I have heard very good things about the Toshiba widescreens. As a matter of fact, I am just waiting until they are in the warehouse to get my hands on a new Toshiba 50H81 widescreen.
Old 07-11-01, 04:50 PM

Kage -

I don't have a lot of experience in this, but I have done A LOT of reading lately because I'm hoping to get a new TV soon and from what I know, what you were told is absolutely untrue. There are obviously plusses and minuses to both brands, but either is quite excellent. Two things to consider though -- if you're going to get a Toshiba, you may want to wait for the new models which are due out in the next month or so with improved audio and video components. If you can't wait however, do some shopping around because last year's Tosh models should be dropping in price quite rapidly to make room for the new ones so deals can be found.

Check out www.hometheaterspot.com for good manufacturer information on TVs -- very imformative site.

Best of Luck!
Old 07-13-01, 12:16 AM

Speedzon21 coved most of the points I was going to make. I have a Mitsubishi and am happy but I have never heard of any Toshiba owner having reliability problems. Actually I think Toshiba will honor warranty issues even if bought on-line. Don't quote me on that though

You might want to consider the high definition models instead of the high defination though .
Old 07-13-01, 08:56 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I have a 55" Mitsubishi and love it, but I also have yet to hear of any major complaints about the Toshiba. The great thing about that choice is that you really can't go wrong. I chose the Mitsubishi because my local retailer had a better price on the Mits Diamond and I thought the picture looked better, but that is purely subjective. You should get them both, side by side, adjust the settings to be equal and see which one you like.
Old 07-13-01, 09:54 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

check out this Toshiba deal

The Toshiba 40H80 is now $1799.99 with free setup and delivery from 800.com.

One lucky forum member has already received his set. Here is the thread from other bargains:

http://www.dvdtalk.com/forum/showthr...hreadid=121365
Old 07-14-01, 10:52 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

agrall, do you have a link to the Toshiba 50H81? i can't find it anywhere.
Old 07-14-01, 10:23 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

There's a review of the new Toshiba 56H80 in the new Perfect Vision (a rave) - lists for 3500, a considerable drop.
Old 07-14-01, 11:02 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I have an earlier version of the

TOSHIBA THEATERWIDE 40" WIDESCREEN HDTV

and

I love it, I love it, I love it.

With the lights off, surround sound on, and an anamorphic DVD playing, it truly feels like a movie theater.

I bought mine 4 years ago from SHARPER IMAGE, and I've never regretted it.

Here it is, in full swing:

Old 07-15-01, 11:29 AM

While I have a Mitsu. 55", I doubt that there could be anything wrong with the Toshiba's. They make great HDTVs.
Old 07-15-01, 11:35 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I have the 40" Tosh and LOVE IT. Had it a little over a year now.

But if buying today, I would get the 56".
Just a personal preference.

BUT.... If still in that same range in size I would wait a few weeks and get the new 42" if you want small, or the 50" for medium.
Old 07-15-01, 07:01 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

The new 56H80 is in this week's Best Buy ad for 2800.
Old 07-15-01, 11:21 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Here is a few links to check out. Hope this helps you out..
http://www.hometheaterspot.com/cgi-b...&f=21&t=000216

http://www.hometheaterspot.com/cgi-b...ultimatebb.cgi