Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

DirecTV questions

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-01, 03:14 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 44 Likes on 33 Posts
My wife got DirecTV for me for our anniversary, which was really nice but then I wasn't there for the installation. Anyway, if anyone can help answer these questions, I'd appreciate it. Getting through to them hasn't been the easiest.

1. If I get the add-on Sports Pack for $10 a month, do the MLB games that are typically broadcast on the Fox Sports channels get blacked out? I live in Columbus Ohio, and paying $10 /month for Fox Sports Detroit to watch my beloved Tigers get stomped would be a good price.

2. My receiver is model E-11. The manual refers to a model E-2 for a number of the setups (specifically OneTouch VCR recording) that do not seem to be available with this model. How do I get the other model? How much extra can I expect to pay?

3. The installer also did not setup my VCR, so as-of-now I cannot tape or watch anything through my VCR. Assuming I can get the VCR setup, will I still be able to preprogram record shows as I normally would? If so, then #2 becomes less of an issue.

Any help is appreciated.

Brian
Old 06-25-01, 03:59 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by bralph
My wife got DirecTV for me for our anniversary, which was really nice but then I wasn't there for the installation. Anyway, if anyone can help answer these questions, I'd appreciate it. Getting through to them hasn't been the easiest.

1. If I get the add-on Sports Pack for $10 a month, do the MLB games that are typically broadcast on the Fox Sports channels get blacked out? I live in Columbus Ohio, and paying $10 /month for Fox Sports Detroit to watch my beloved Tigers get stomped would be a good price.

2. My receiver is model E-11. The manual refers to a model E-2 for a number of the setups (specifically OneTouch VCR recording) that do not seem to be available with this model. How do I get the other model? How much extra can I expect to pay?

3. The installer also did not setup my VCR, so as-of-now I cannot tape or watch anything through my VCR. Assuming I can get the VCR setup, will I still be able to preprogram record shows as I normally would? If so, then #2 becomes less of an issue.

Any help is appreciated.

Brian
Hey Brian,

Question 1: No, you don't get any of the actual games. All you receive is their local sports report. Absolutely ridiculous. There is fine print that states baseball, basketball, college games may be blacked out. To get baseball games you have to buy the baseball package, and it doesn't even give you all the games. However the football and basketball packages are pretty good. Still you can't watch EVERY game, but most of them.

Question 2. It depends on what you want regarding options. There are different options you can get on different receivers (ie dolby digital, HDTV..etc) The more you want the more you'll spend.

Question 3. Unless your VCR can change the channel on the DirecTV tuner, you won't be able to preprogram to record shows. I am not 100% but you would need to see if the VCR and the tuner are compatible.

Sorry, I don't believe these are the answers you were looking for.
Old 06-25-01, 04:09 PM

Thanks Jocko. You're right, those aren't the answers I was looking for. They were, however, the answers I expected.

In regards to the different receivers, I would think being able to record a program is a fairly basic option. At a minimum I would expect any configuration to support this, but from what you've just told me that does not seem to be the case. Do I contact Hughes (the maker of the receiver) or DirecTV to look into different receiver options?

Thanks again.
Old 06-25-01, 04:32 PM

Receiver Options

Actually, I would say to just look up DirecTV tuners on any site like Yahoo shopping to compare. Hughes, RCA, and Sony all make them. I personally like the menus on the Hughes and also like the remote much better than the one on the RCA. It all comes down to personal choice. You can probably go to any Best Buy, Circuit City, Good Guys...etc to test them out. That may be your best bet.
Old 06-25-01, 06:22 PM

You can set it to program shows with any VCR. If your VCR can't "talk" to your DSS box, you have to program both of them seperately. Program you DSS to switch to channel whatever at a certain time, then program you vcr to record (ch 3, line 1,... however your setup is) at that same time. I have a 4 year old RCA DSS receiver, so the newer models might be easier than this.

I have a Sony vcr, and Sony sells an optional piece that sits on top of the DSS box aimed at the remote control receptor. That way the VCR can control the box. You might try and find out if your VCR maker sells anything like that, it would be cheaper than buying a brand new one.
Old 06-26-01, 01:18 PM

Originally posted by RandyM
You can set it to program shows with any VCR. If your VCR can't "talk" to your DSS box, you have to program both of them seperately. Program you DSS to switch to channel whatever at a certain time, then program you vcr to record (ch 3, line 1,... however your setup is) at that same time. I have a 4 year old RCA DSS receiver, so the newer models might be easier than this.

I have a Sony vcr, and Sony sells an optional piece that sits on top of the DSS box aimed at the remote control receptor. That way the VCR can control the box. You might try and find out if your VCR maker sells anything like that, it would be cheaper than buying a brand new one.
That sounds like a good idea. I also have a Sony VCR. Any idea where I can find that controller? I checked Sony's website, but couldn't find it. Radio Shack perhaps?
Old 06-26-01, 01:30 PM

Originally posted by bralph
That sounds like a good idea. I also have a Sony VCR. Any idea where I can find that controller? I checked Sony's website, but couldn't find it. Radio Shack perhaps?
It was a flyer in the vcr box when I got it. Of course now I can't find it (or the manual for that matter.) But I do remember it was direct from Sony and cost around $20. If you can find your manual, I'd see if there is an 800 customer service number to call.