Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

Component video problem

Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Component video problem

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-01, 11:30 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I just brought home my new Sony Wega but when I hooked the component cord from my DVD to TV, the picture is only in black and white. I screw around with the cords but nothing works. I can see blue lines, red lines, but when I screw around with the green input, it is gray. I think it might be the cord but was looking to see what else it might be. Thanks in advance
Old 06-16-01, 11:59 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
This might sound stupid, but are you sure you are hooking up the corresponding colors together? Double check the connections and make sure you are lining them up right....it's worth a try I guess....
Old 06-17-01, 12:00 AM
X
Administrator

Received 154 Likes on 124 Posts
Also, have you used component out before? Do you have to set it as the output method (as opposed to s-video) on your player? What is your player?
Old 06-17-01, 12:06 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Very true X, I know some DVD players have a switch in the back where you have to choose between Componet and S-video. Check the back of your player and make sure. I believe this was popular on panasonic players ....good luck...
Old 06-17-01, 01:14 AM

I don't want you guys to laugh but I am still using a Proscan I bought about three years ago. It has worked well so far. I am hoping it is just my cables. I checked to see if the lines correspond and they do. There is no switch and the menu has nothing to choose from. Any other help?
Old 06-17-01, 01:29 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I don't have a WEGA but does IT have a switch of some kind on the back(Very Doubtful) I would go back and switch cables and or try connceting the proscan via componet on another tv.

BNy the way I actually have a Proscan in my room and there is nothing to laugh about that darn thing actually work nicely with very good picture detail. It as some faults but are minor....good luck
Old 06-17-01, 05:08 PM

I had the same problem with an s-video cable once. Everything was black and white, exchanged it for a new cable and had instant color. I have since upgraded my TV to a JVC with component jacks, have both s-video and component cables hooked up and everything works fine.I would try a different cable first.
Old 06-17-01, 08:54 PM

I seem to remember hearing about early players having a couple of different standards for component video outputs. Can anyone verify this?