Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

Help me help a friend (white noise from TV speakers when viewing DVD)

Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Help me help a friend (white noise from TV speakers when viewing DVD)

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-01, 01:24 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

A friend of mine has Klipsch speaker setup all the way around.

SC-1 for center
SB-2s for fronts
SS-1s for rears

When viewing DVD movies he gets white noise out of the TV speakers. This occurs only when viewing DVDs. The volume on the TV can be turned all the way down and even the mute function on and still white noise. Sounds like a case of interference.

At first he thought it was his Apex dvd player. Returned it and got a Sony. Still noise. Bought new Monster cable that's shielded. Still noise. Bought a new TV to replace the old one. Still Noise.

The specs indicate the speakers are shielded. The noise is constant for the most part. Sometimes it will cease for 3-5 seconds. The DVD player's sound is wired directly to the stereo receiver and video signal directly to the TV.

The center speaker is sitting directly on top of the TV. He's going to try disconnecting it and seeing if the noise persists.

Any other ideas as to what my be the cause? Solutions? Anything we should/could try that we haven't?
Old 06-01-01, 01:43 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
It seems to me to be an interference issue like you suggest. White noise generally is caused by interference. Have him unplug the receiver from the DVD player, and leave the receiver turned off, heck unplug the power. Play a DVD. Do you hear the white noise? Probably not. If not, it's interference. If you still hear the noise then it's not interference from the speakers, it's something happening in the TV itself, or possibly other equipment around the area.

Old 06-01-01, 03:48 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Does the TV have a menu option to turn the TV speakers off?
Old 06-02-01, 09:08 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Could be the reciever inputs from the DVD player. The player is probably good, which could mean that there is a bad ground (inside the receiver) or signal processing chip is screwy.

Changing from coax to fiber probably wont fix it.