Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Outlaw 1050 Receiver

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-01, 02:36 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I am seriously considering buying the Outlaw 1050 receiver. Does anyone own it and, if so, what are the pros/cons you've observed?
Old 05-15-01, 06:25 PM

I've got one and I'm happy with it.

Pro's: Fantastic sound, well constructed, plenty of power, lots of inputs, 6.1 at low price, looks cool, great customer service.

Con's: No component video, average remote.

My only real complaint is that I would prefer separates, and I'll probably buy the Outlaw separates when they are released. If you want just a receiver, you won't be disappointed.

[Edited by TexasGuy on 05-15-01 at 04:28 PM]
Old 05-15-01, 08:02 PM

I've had mine for a few months and really like it.

The only thing I really wish they added was an extra optical input (has only 2), and at least one switched AC outlet.

I for one like the remote when compared to other receivers factory remotes.

You can view the owners manual on their website OUTLAW

Alfer
Old 05-15-01, 11:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
How's this thing stack up against the Sony ES line? High end Yamaha and Denon? Just curious..
Old 05-15-01, 11:49 PM

Originally posted by Thunderball
How's this thing stack up against the Sony ES line? High end Yamaha and Denon? Just curious..
I looked at the Sony ES, Yamaha, and Denon lines when shopping for mine. The Sony ES sound was clear, it just didn't blow me away like I wanted in a new receiver. I've never heard a Yamaha that didn't hiss on higher volumes (perhaps this is only a problem with Klipsch speakers?), so they were never really in the running. I liked the Denon sound a lot, but only on the Denon 3801 or better models, and the 3801 is at least $150 more than the Outlaw.

I bought the Outlaw without hearing it first, which I normally wouldn't do except the positive reviews on it are so overwhelming. When I got it, I was blown away by the sound. Soundwise, it easily outclasses everything in its price range. It just sounds more natural to me, and it really shines in movies and jazz/blues CDs (my preference in music is live blues recordings).

However, with the other brands you are going to get more "bells and whistles": some have more connectors, some have more audio modes (especially Sony), some have more tweaks, etc. I just wanted great sound for DVD and CDs, so none of this was important to me, but everyone has to figure out their own preference.

Old 05-16-01, 10:52 AM
Cool New Member

Price Drop

Now is the time to buy, they just dropped the price to $499. We have a 1050 review unit, and I think it favorably compares to our trusty 333ES unit in our lab. If you are thinking of doing a 6 channel surround on a budget, this is definitely the receiver for you.

It has plenty of power, don't be too worried about the conservative rating.
Old 05-16-01, 11:04 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Hmmm interesting, but I think I"m gonna stay with my Sony 555ES. I'm a bells and whistles sort of guy.
Old 05-24-01, 05:47 PM

Does anyone know if the Outlaw has a 5-channel stereo mode like the Denon and Onkyo units? I'm getting ready to purchase a receiver and I've narrowed the choice down to the Outlaw 1050 and the new Onkyo ts-dx595. Right now I'm leaning toward the Onkyo because of the 5-channel stereo, but I think I would probably go for the Outlaw if it also has this feature. I don't see anything about it in the Outlaw's specs, but I just wanted to make sure before I purchased the Onkyo.