Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

Surrounds? Need Help Picking!

Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Surrounds? Need Help Picking!

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-01, 09:48 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Hey, I am thisclose to completing my dream home theater(dream for now )

All I need are the surrounds. I need to be able to hang them on the wall but from an overhang...I only have about 3 inches of wood untilthe room turns into steps..I dn't knw if this makes sense....but I currently have a pair of KLH speakers back there..and they just sound like crap I think. Can anyone recommend me a decent pair of surrounds that are both small and light?

Mycenter is a Polk 245i and my fronst are Polk RT800s.

I'm using a Sony 555ES 120x5 to power them.

What do you all thing?
Old 05-22-01, 10:00 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I am using the Pro-X55AV w/ my Outlaw 1050 6.1 receiver (see pix on my site link below) and they sound awesome for all my surround sound needs. They are nice sounding and very sturdily built.

Best of all they are on sale right now: $40 each so you can try them out, and if they don't meet your needs just return them before the 30 day policy.

Alfer
Old 05-22-01, 11:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I'm not a big fan of speakers made by non speaker companies
Old 05-23-01, 06:40 AM

That's a shame Thunderball you're not open to the idea ...you're missing out on a GREAT deal.

p.s. They are labeled RCA, but it's just because RCA bought out the whole Optimus brand which has always made speakers, they are still the same great speaker as before.

Remember the RS Minimus 7 series etc.? Same thing...or how about THESE it's the speakers that got some real good reviews from Stereo Review a while back. So all I'm saying is don't pay attention to the goofy RCA label stuck to their (RS) speakers.

Alfer
Old 05-23-01, 07:06 AM

what about some jbl n-24's? there are better speakers available, but these are alot better then the ones you have. I would get some polk surrounds if you like the polks you already have.
Old 05-23-01, 08:39 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by zogar
what about some jbl n-24's? there are better speakers available, but these are alot better then the ones you have. I would get some polk surrounds if you like the polks you already have.

I have the N-26's and like them alot......
Old 05-23-01, 12:56 PM

Since you've got Polk fronts, why not get either a smaller 'front' pair or a matching surround pair from Polk. I'm not that familiar with the Polk series but I still would reccomend timbre matching to the fronts.
Old 05-23-01, 01:08 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Well, if you are concerned with timbre-matching, I'd say take a look at the Polk f/x 300i http://www.polkaudio.com/home/specs....y=6&speaker=46

I have the f/x 500i and am very happy with them, but they might be bigger and heavier than you are looking for

Both models are wall-mountable
Old 05-24-01, 04:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

When I move(next summer) i will upgrade to the Polks. Probably a small pair of towers in the rear (RT600s) but for now , I don' thave much space..and I'm looking for something light. Those JBLs might do the trick...or the RCAs...hmmm thanks guys