Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

Does anyone use Re-EQ?

Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Does anyone use Re-EQ?

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-01, 10:03 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have always used it when i had my set up in a room w/hard wood floors. It seemed to not be so echo intensive with it on. However I have recently bought a new house which my HT room is now carpeted (thick) and my system sounded muted w/re-eq. I switched to the normal mode and the range seemed to be more dynamic. My room is 14x18 with only 2 sofas and a coffee table. I'm I just accustomed to bright sound?
Old 05-16-01, 10:31 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

i almost always use it for movies. in my room, with my equipment most sound tracks are just way to bright. in fact the lack of re-eq was one reason i returned the Sony 550es.
Old 05-16-01, 12:05 PM

Audrey, what receiver are you using now? I'm thinking about a new one w/ all the bells and whistles, and I'm soliciting opinions about the Onkyo's and the Integra's. Is Re-EQ another must I should add to my list?
Old 05-16-01, 03:08 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Scott, i have a Denon 5700; quite happy w/ it. regarding re-eq, i think it's a matter of personal preference. but i find the re-eq approach easier and more successful than trying to approximate the re-eq circuit w/ tone controls (or an equalizer).
Old 05-16-01, 04:11 PM

Audry, what are your room specs.? I'm wondering if my room is so sound absorbive that I need to have my reciever set somewhat bright in order to compensate for it.
Old 05-16-01, 05:54 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

the room is about 14x20 w/ 9 foot ceilings and hard wood floors. the room opens into another room so one of the short walls is 1/2 open. even w/ the large area rug and furniture it's a fairly reflective environment.
Old 05-17-01, 10:26 AM

Audry, my room is an extremly NON-reflective room. Could that be why my Re-Eq now sounds muddy?Thus standard setting (usually would be bright) sounds better. I'm just second guessing myself because everyone loves Re-EQ (I did in the other house)but now it dosent sound too good.
Old 05-17-01, 11:02 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by mr. longshanks
Audry, my room is an extremly NON-reflective room. Could that be why my Re-Eq now sounds muddy?Thus standard setting (usually would be bright) sounds better. I'm just second guessing myself because everyone loves Re-EQ (I did in the other house)but now it dosent sound too good.
Mostlikely your assumption is correct. Movies are generally equalized to be bright to compensate for a crowded and absorptive theater. I wouldn’t worry about it though; IMO you should use what ever settings sound best to you, sit back, and enjoy.